    preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
    had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat of
    my hard disk

    don, Jun 11, 2007

  2. don

    Gordon Guest

    Are you SURE that what you have is actually a Microsoft Windows XP CD and
    not a Restore CD?

    Gordon, Jun 11, 2007

  3. don

    Daave Guest

    This is common.

    If you reinstall a "golden master" OEM copy of Windows XP (e.g., from a
    royalty OEM such as Dell), there is no need to enter a product key
    because of an anti-pirating feature called system-locked
    preinstallation.

    So if someone else got a hold of your disc, they wouldn't be able to use
    it unless they have the same make, model, and configuration of computer
    (and presumably the same type of XP license...Home or Pro) you have.

    Daave, Jun 11, 2007
  4. don

    Jan Guest

    Same for my Dell laptop - formatted and reinstalled and no product key
    or activation required.

    Jan, Jun 11, 2007
  5. don

    PeeCee Guest

    Don

    Perfectly normal behaviour for an XP OEM CD.
    You will have noticed it did not require activation either.

    During boot up that OEM CD checks to see if it is installing on a particular
    brand / model of PC.
    If it is not the install routine exits and 'will not' install.

    There fore if it will only install on one particular brand / model
    and
    the manufacturer has bought licenses for 'every' machine it of that model it
    ever made
    then
    the CD can be configured to automatically install a manufacturers key and
    bypass activation
    because
    Microsoft is happy the CD can not be pirated.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 11, 2007

  6. Same for my HP [*sucks*] Media Center, MCE 2005 box.
    HP, I spit on you "speettttppphhh-tph-tph"!

    But, it calls home and checks in, you just don't see it.

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 11, 2007
  7. don

    don Guest

    Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

    don, Jun 12, 2007
  8. don

    WhzzKdd Guest

    We have dozens of Dell PCs and laptops at the office. All the WinXP setup
    discs provided by Dell work that way. If you look at the files on the disk,
    there's a folder called $OEM$ with the customized software from Dell.

    These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will need a
    key and activation.

    Other Microsoft issued XP discs WILL install on a Dell computer, but again,
    you will need a key and activation. For instance, some Dell desktops we had
    were purchased with XP Home (small office, not networked). When they put in
    a Windows Server, we updated the PCs to XP Pro using standard upgrade
    packages.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  9. don

    Daave Guest

    Then I guess I was wrong when I said they wouldn't!

    I'm surprised that these Dell disks will install on non-Dell computers.
    I always thought that this was never the case. Live and learn.

    Daave, Jun 12, 2007
  10. don

    Evan Platt Guest

    Ummm.. OK.

    Evan Platt, Jun 12, 2007
  11. don

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Until I slipstreamed my own SP2 disc, I used the SP2 disc from the office
    Dell at home. As long as I had a legal key, activation went fine.

    I imagine other OEM products may have different results though, so you may
    still be correct. Especially for "system recovery" type of discs - obviously
    tied to specific brands and models.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  12. don

    don Guest

    Suppose I used virtual software on my laptop like VMware6, would this WinXP
    OEM disk still install with no activation/product code required? I ask this
    because I would like to practive networking between two WinXP systems but I
    don't want to have to go buy another WinXP disk

    don, Jun 12, 2007
  13. don

    Ron Martell Guest

    Pretty much all of the larger OEMs are now using the SLP (BIOS Locked)
    procedure with their OEM Windows XP installations. These versions are
    self-activating if they are installed on a computer with a motherboard
    BIOS from that specific OEM but are not usable on a computer with a
    motherboard BIOS from any other source.

    This does expedite legitimate reinstalls but it causes serious
    complications if it is ever necessary or desirable to replace a
    motherboard and one cannot be obtained from the original OEM.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jun 12, 2007
  14. don

    don Guest

    Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
    virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?

    don, Jun 12, 2007
  15. don

    Ron Martell Guest

    Never tried it so I can't say for certain, but as I believe that
    VMWare emulates a standard set of hardware components rather than the
    actual hardware in the machine there may be issues.

    And a second install of the same license generally contravenes the
    provisions of the license where it says "..install a single copy on a
    single computer.." or words to that effect.

    Ron Martell, Jun 12, 2007
  16. don

    don Guest

    Ya, but it is still the same machine and the license is for any Dell
    Inspiron 8600

    don, Jun 12, 2007
  17. don

    Leythos Guest

    And if you read the licensing it clearly does not allow for multiple
    virtual installations on the same computer.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

    Leythos, Jun 12, 2007
  18. don

    WhzzKdd Guest

    It didn't for me - I have MS Virtual PC on my Dell laptop, and the Dell
    install disk still needed a code and activation. My presumption there is
    that the hardware is masked by the virtual enviroment.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007