    WINS server name.

    Kind regards,
    Corrado

    Corrado Labinaz, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Probably because the server that wins is installed on also needs to resolve netbios
    names, such as in a situation where it had a replication partners name in it's
    configuration on a different subnet. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Corrado Labinaz

    Herb Martin Guest

    taking a practice test for 70-216 I found out a question stateing a WINS
    In another post, Steven gave you part of the answer:
    The WINS server typically needs to resolve NetBIOS names to
    so it must be a WINS client from a pure client perspective.

    There are several (related) additional reasons also:
    1) Since WINS is almost always a DYNAMICALLY registered
    service, the WINS servers won't be in the database unless they are
    also WINS clients -- the "real clients" won't be able to find them.

    This can mess up legacy client authentication and resource access
    (shares and printers may be in accessible on these servers; users
    may have trouble logging on.)

    2) WINS servers are also likely to be browse masters or and one
    will be the Domain Master Browser they will need to locate and
    be located by that Domain Master Browser to browse across
    subnets.

    Browsing is a NetBIOS "legacy" application, so if NetBIOS cannot
    resolve the master browser names then browsing will be limited to
    resources on EACH subnet separately.

    Simple NetBIOS resolution is broadcast based so WINS is needed
    to resolve names (easily) across subnets.

    Herb Martin, Mar 7, 2004