WINS Replication

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Alex, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi,

    I have some doubts in the WINS replication and hope that someone can advise
    me.

    This paragraph is from MSPress MCSE Training Kit

    Configuring a WINS Server as a Push or Pull Partner
    Determining whether to configure a WINS server as a pull partner or push
    partner depends on your network environment. Remember the following rules
    when configuring WINS server replication:

    a.. Configure a push partner when servers are connected by fast links,
    because push replication occurs when a specified number of updated WINS
    database entries is reached.
    b.. Configure a pull partner between sites, especially across slow links,
    because pull replication can be configured to occur at specific intervals.
    c.. Configure each server to be both a push and pull partner to replicate
    database entries between them.
    d.. Every WINS server must be both a push partner and a pull partner for
    the replication to be complete, but not necessarily with each other.

    Points 3 and 4 are saying that a WINS must be set push and pull partner to
    complete the replication. I am quite confuse about it.

    Let's say I have 2 WINS Server (WINSA and WINSB).

    If I set up WINSA as a push replication partner of WINSB and I setup WINSB
    as a push replication partner of WINSA. Will WINSA push changes to WINSB
    and vice versa. If it doesn't work, can I say that push replication is only
    a trigger to the partner that there are changes and the partner needs to be
    a pull partner of that server to pull the changes?

    Can a WINS Server (WINSA) that setup a pull replication partner (WINSB) but
    the pull replication partner (WINSB) does not set him (WINSA) as a push
    replication partner, able to pull changes?

    Thanks a million,
    YT

    Alex, Jul 4, 2003