    getting a message that "computer needs to be restarted before restore can
    be
    used" so restart computer and same message again,

    m.see, Mar 20, 2005

  2. wininit.exe is a file from the WOLLF.16 virus. Sounds like you've
    already gotten rid of the virus but whatever you used didn't clean up
    after itself. If you're okay editing the registry look for any entries
    referring to wininit.exe or bymer.scanner, should be in the
    HKey_Local_Machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Run
    keys. Delete any reference to them. As always, make a backup to the
    registry before editing.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 21, 2005

  3. m.see

    Unk Guest

    It is used "To Move Files That Are Currently in Use"
    How to use wininit.exe and wininit.ini
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q140570
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip16.htm

    Unk, Mar 21, 2005
  4. m.see

    Guest Guest

    What would Microsoft know about it? Anyway, according to the cited MSKB
    article, wininit.exe is only under the section about Windows 95. There's
    plenty of references about wininit.exe regarding the virus on Google.
    Maybe the OP will have some luck figuring out which is what.

    Guest, Mar 21, 2005
  5. m.see

    Unk Guest

    Only Win95??
    Quoted from the MSKB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140570
    APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API), when used with:
    Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1
    Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    the operating system: Microsoft Windows NT
    Microsoft Windows XP Standard Edition

    I only posted to show it was a valid MS file, and not exclusivaly a file from the WOLLF.16 virus
    as you implied. It IS possible it was usurped for use by a virus.

    Unk, Mar 21, 2005