Windoze_XP_Pro: No New Folder or Copy/Cut-Paste files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bim48, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Bim48

    Bim48

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, all...

    I'm running XP Pro on 5 Gigs of memory and have...

    1. SpyBot Search&Destroy
    2, ZoneAlarmPro
    3. AVG Free
    4. AVG AntiRootkit
    5. AVG AntiSpyware

    ...installed. They are all up to date.

    Somewhere along the line I noticed that if I either righ-clicked in Explorer and tried to create a New Folder, Explorer would crash and re-start (not re-boot). If I tried to create a new folder from within a file Dialog, the application would crash.

    Now I notice that if I right-click on a list of files to copy or move them, Explorer crashes (and re-starts).

    I'm also subscribed to Windows Update, and when I shut down there is the entry in the shut down menu to "Install updates and then shut down". But nothing is ever installed, Windows seems to try for a few seconds and then shuts down without installing anything - I'm up to 82 updates waiting in the queue now.

    Anyone else have that experience? Is there a fix for any or all of these? Apart from reinstalling Windows, that is... I have a lot of software installed.

    Thanks in advance...

    Jim

    Bim48, Mar 2, 2008