    As long as it hasn't been activated in a while you will have no
    problems. Even then you still probably won't have any issues.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 8, 2004

  2. SteveM

    EAgle Guest

    Why would he want to do something illegal if hes already got a legal copy?

    Activating it again (over the net for eg) shouldn't be a problem.

    EAgle, Feb 8, 2004

  3. SteveM

    Nick Guest

    can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct ?
    ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
    first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
    the thing.

    I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
    what he was on about to be honest

    thanks

    Nick, Feb 8, 2004
  4. SteveM

    steve Guest

    Waste of time calling them.
    Get the XP activation crack.

    Kazaa.

    steve, Feb 8, 2004
  5. In Message <dated Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:41:44 GMT,
    How long do you call "a while", Steve?

    I have tried the same thing as you suggest with legitimately obtained XP
    Home and Publisher XP2003 (2002?), and in both cases it wouldn't let me
    reactivate, saying it was already activated by the original owner, and to
    contact a Microsoft Representative per voice for further information.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Blowing one's own horn only succeeds in deafening the listener.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 8, 2004
  6. SteveM

    SteveM Guest

    I heard 3 months was the time required (but that was for WinXP Home).

    YMMV?

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 9, 2004

  7. Thats a nice blanket statement to make, Microsoft Services take a lot of
    calls. By your theory they're wasting a shit load of everyones time. I'm
    sure thats not true.

    why crack something you own?

    Just activate it automatically over the Internet, if that doesn't work
    (because the product key has already been recently activated) call up the
    0800 activation number and a human can help you. Literally takes a few
    minutes max

    No thanks, its really not a great idea to download and run untrusted
    executables from a P2P network

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2004
  8. SteveM

    Lennier Guest

    If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
    software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 9, 2004
  9. SteveM

    Enkidu Guest

    Because it's not a legal copy. You can't legally buy MS software from
    someone else. As I recall, they don't sell you the software, just the
    right to use it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2004
  10. SteveM

    Max Burke Guest

    Lennier scribbled:
    Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that what
    the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux OS
    you're running?

    Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.......

    Max Burke, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Dont ask him that, or he'll say that he has the copyright to it as he
    has the right to copy it...

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 9, 2004
  12. SteveM

    Lennier Guest

    Actually, if I wanted to, and if I was able to make use of it, I could
    take the source code, adapt it for something else, or add something else
    into it, and behold - software created by me, based on that original
    source code. I personally would own the intellectual property rights
    pertaining to the new code, which would have to be released under the GPL
    if I was to distribute the binaries for some purpose or other.

    I personally do not own the GPL'd source code - but am free to use and
    adapt it as per the terms of the GNU general public licence, and to
    install the binaries on as many computers as I please, without restriction.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 9, 2004
  13. SteveM

    EAgle Guest

    Well ofcourse.. but you can sell the right to use it to another party
    provided you stop using it. Go look it up, if you still dont believe it go
    give them a ring.

    EAgle, Feb 9, 2004
  14. SteveM

    Mainlander Guest

    The OEM license terms (if it is an OEM product) are quite clear: it can't
    be installed on another machine.

    If you have an OEM license it cannot legally be sold independently f the
    PC it was sold with.

    Mainlander, Feb 9, 2004
  15. SteveM

    Mainlander Guest

    Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    Mainlander, Feb 9, 2004
  16. I'm with Steve on this one. Microsoft has used up all their moral
    credits with their outrageous monopolistic and truth-fudging
    behaviour. We owe them no consideration.

    willy

    WeeWillyWonka, Feb 9, 2004
  17. SteveM

    Daniel Silva Guest

    What a curious statement from an AT&T employee.

    Daniel Silva, Feb 9, 2004
  18. SteveM

    harry Guest

    Why not activate it yourself if you paid for it ?
    Thats what volume licensing customers do.
    Product activation is intended to stop unauthorised users who don't know how
    to circumvent it, not authorised users who do.

    harry, Feb 9, 2004

  19. Volume Licensing media for Windows XP (Pro & Tablet PC) doesn't have product
    activation

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2004
  20. No more immoral than those who falsely accuse others of killing small
    girls.

    You have no claim to any moral high ground.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 9, 2004