WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charles Kenyon, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. That's normal, assuming you didn't try to point symbols to it.

    I think that this might be significant though

    <extract>
    INETCOMM!MimeEditDocumentFromStream
    </extract>

    Do you know what newsgroup you were in when this happened?
    I can remember some old crashes in inetcomm.dll which could
    be caused by unexpected or invalid header information.
    Perhaps that crash symptom has been repaired and the problem
    symptom moved elsewhere? The problem that I remember
    was reproducible and could make reading from an affected
    newsgroup impossible.

    OTOH I suspect the actual crash instruction is 64 bit specific
    so it may simply be a coding error from that perspective.

    </extract>

    Please check that all the versions of all the modules involved
    are current and consistent. I have extracted only the ones
    involved in the crashing thread's Stack Back Trace from
    the original complete Module List below.

    If you're interested I think you might get even more insight
    from the last two calls in the stack by using symbols.

    Here's an extract from a previous post which refers to that
    possibility:

    <extract>

    <title>Microsoft Windows XP - Setting up Dr. Watson</title>
    < http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_setup.mspx >

    (MSDN search for
    drwtsn32 symbols xp
    )

    <title>How to Use the Microsoft Symbol Server</title>
    < http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/symbols.mspx >

    (Google web search for
    inurl:symbols site:microsoft.com
    )

    </extract>

    HTH

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jan 29, 2006

  2. I tried the new identity. Still crashed. The problem definitely is the
    watched messages. I'm going to give up and just live with it. Thank you.
    --
    Charles Kenyon

    from my ignorance and your wisdom.

    Charles Kenyon, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Do you know what newsgroup you were in when this happened?

    I was on the msnews.microsoft.com account and was synchronizing the entire
    account. Not in a particular newsgroup.

    Thank you for looking at it. I think I'll just live with the problem. I
    don't use OE for my email and the newsgroups are not mission-critical for
    me.

    Charles Kenyon, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Charles Kenyon

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    It's not the solution you are looking for, but if you only have msnews on
    one computer, and only on one account, there is no need to sync. Uncheck:
    Get XXX headers at a time. I myself, have never used the sync option. No
    need to.

    Bruce Hagen, Jan 30, 2006

  5. I realize that but if you were watching the OE status window
    you would know which task OE was working on at the time of the crash
    and thus know which one to temporarily remove from the
    synchronization list.

    If you were tracing with a troubleshooting log you might get even closer
    to the message which was being processed at the time of the crash. Etc.

    Ok.

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jan 30, 2006
  6. What the sync does is download all the headers/messages in the account with
    one click. (I have most groups set to download all messages, a couple set
    for headers only.) I don't know of another way to do this. I don't care to
    update each of 12 newsgroups individually.

    Charles Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Charles Kenyon

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    If you uncheck get XXX headers at a time, and go to Tools | Accounts | News
    | Properties and check: Include this account when checking for messages for
    each news account, then the messages, or headers if that is how you have
    some set up, will be downloaded when OE polls for new e-mail. Wouldn't it be
    easier to have them download automatically than what you're doing now?

    Bruce Hagen, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Charles Kenyon

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't synchronize. Mine updates headers only when that newsgroup is
    selected. It still crashes several times daily when left on in the
    background to collect mail and newsgroup headers, if selected at the time of
    update, every 20 minutes.
    I doubt synchronize settings have anything to do with it.

    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2006
  9. I'm willing to learn. I have things set as you recommend.
    How do I get OE to poll for new mail. Note that I have no email accounts in
    OE.

    Charles Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Charles Kenyon

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    Tools | Options | General. Check for new messages every xx minutes. I
    believe this will still work without e-mail accounts.

    Bruce Hagen, Jan 31, 2006

  11. Have you tried using the Status window yet as a diagnostic?
    E.g. doubleclick on the rightmost pane of the Status bar
    then select Details>> and click on the Pushpin at the bottom right.
    Try to observe if the crash involves one particular newsgroup.
    If it does you could remove that newsgroup from your Synchronization
    settings list (e.g. mark it Don't synchronize) and then see if the rest
    of your list would synchronize without crashing. That would probably
    be most likely to happen if you only used the Watched Conversation
    feature with the one newsgroup which was involved with the crash. <eg>

    BTW is this your default news account that this is happening to?
    If not, temporarily make it your default news account and see if that
    makes any difference. It might because there were bugs associated
    with synchronizing Watched conversations in non-default accounts.
    These were supposedly fixed in a recent optional update for OE6sp2.
    Again, I'm not familiar with what updates are available for your version.

    HTH

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jan 31, 2006
  12. The crash occurs when it is checking watched messages.

    Charles Kenyon, Jan 31, 2006
  13. I am watching the status window and it happens when polling for watched
    messages. No particular newsgroup is shown. I subscribe to more than 20 of
    these newsgroups.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 2, 2006
  14. I guess I'll take your advice. It is a pain, though, because I answer a lot
    of questions on the newsgroups and like to follow the threads after I answer
    to see if any follow up is needed.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 2, 2006
  15. This crashes as well. I guess the answer for now is to stop watching
    messages.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 2, 2006
  16. Charles Kenyon

    John Barnes Guest

    Use cntl H and cntl U and you will cut down the number of items you have to
    go thru considerably. Good alternative. I don't watch messages and still
    crash, so will be interesting if yours stops crashing.

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2006

  17. I can't remember if you have told us which synchronization method you use.
    It sounds from the above description though that either Synchronize Account
    or Synchronize Newsgroup can be inferred. In that case, you could try
    using the Sychronize All command as a potential circumvention.
    E.g. that Watched Messages task would not be included by a Synchronize All.
    If necessary you could use Synchronize All to simulate either of the other commands
    by unchecking things you don't want involved by a particular instance
    of the Synchronize All.

    Obviously another potential circumvention which would allow you to use
    any of the synchronize commands and avoid the Watched Messages task
    would be to ensure that you never use the Watched Conversation marker
    in any newsgroup that you want to synchronize. If this problem is reproducible
    with a Synchronize Newsgroup command you might consider trying
    to do that with *one* of your newsgroups as a test.

    Again, my only other suggestion for seeing if it involves a specific
    message in a specific newsgroup (the previous issue in inetcomm.dll
    that I mentioned) would be to trace the NNTP exchanges.
    The best way is to capture the raw protocol, e.g. using netcap
    but OE's troubleshooting log seems to be closed often enough
    when it is used that it could give some clues about how far it is getting too.

    Good luck

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 2, 2006
  18. yes, it's a pain. Try Ctrl-H. It helps.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2006
  19. Yes, Ctrl-H helps a lot.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2006
  20. Thank you all. I didn't know about Ctrl-H. It helps.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 3, 2006