    I have run several anti-V programs but still no change. I have plenty
    space on all drives.
    Any tips, clues etc gratefully received, guys.

    kelly, Sep 15, 2011

  2. Try opening the application that views AVIs, then select the file you want
    to view.

    If this works, but double-clicking the file to start the viewer does not,
    then you have a problem with File Associations.

    Fix the file association by starting Windows Explorer, then clicking
    TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS, then selecting the File Types tab. Scroll the list to
    AVI, and then browse to the application that you want to use for viewing.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 15, 2011

  3. kelly

    kelly Guest

    Thanks, Jeff, for a prompt reply. I will follow your suggestion now
    and repost.

    kelly, Sep 15, 2011
  4. kelly

    kelly Guest

    Jeff, I followed your instructions and, after re-installing VLC
    player, still no change. I then went through that method, this time
    making Win Player the default player & highlighted the folder. This
    time the first movie on the list started but as soon as I opened the
    folder, showing the .avi files, off back to desktop I went. Does this
    make any sense to you?

    kelly, Sep 15, 2011
  6. kelly

    kelly Guest

    Huh! Now I'm double-posting. Sorry about that, Jeff. Getting fouled up
    with the anti-leech words. I found some .avi stuff in an external
    drive. It does the same so I am thinking that a Windows setting is
    playing games. Any more hint, please?

    kelly, Sep 15, 2011
  7. Huh! Now I'm double-posting. Sorry about that, Jeff. Getting fouled up
    with the anti-leech words. I found some .avi stuff in an external
    drive. It does the same so I am thinking that a Windows setting is
    playing games. Any more hint, please?

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You are taking me in circles young Grasshopper.

    Start the application that you want to use for viewing the file.
    Select File Open, and navigate to the file you want to view.

    If the file opens, then the computer is good. You have discovered by this
    that the file is good, and the viewer is good.

    NOW, navigate to an AVI file and double click it. The _same_ application
    should start.

    You have many applications that are capable of opening an AVI file, and one
    of them is hosed up AND it is trying to be the default viewer. So, you have
    a program that has been chosen (probably by mistake) to be the default
    viewer, and the program is broken. If you are selecting a file and
    double-clicking it to start the viewer, and the wrong (undesired) program is
    trying to open, then you can also try to right-click the file then choose
    Open With, and then browse the list to an available viewer program.

    To understand what the problem is, I need to know if you can start the
    desired viewer and open the file(s), or if the problem you are talking about
    happens when you select a file and want to view it.

    You could have a broken AVI file too, so you need to isolate this by opening
    more than one AVI. If some open and some do not, then the files themselves
    can be broken.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 15, 2011
  8. kelly

    kelly Guest

    Got it now, Jeff. All working. I performed your first solution after
    re-installing my player and rebooted.
    I had not rebooted after the first time. How daft can I be. :-( Thanks
    very much, Jeff, for your help and patience.

    kelly, Sep 15, 2011