WindowsUpdate doesn't work on new Dell machines?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. I'm setting up a pile of new Dell computers for a client of mine. So
    far, the first three all share exactly the same behavior - they work
    great at everything, including Internet access, but when we go to the
    WindowsUpdate site, they all crap out, saying there is a problem on
    _our_ network. Bullshit, I say! More details:

    The first machine was a high zoot, $8k graphics workstation. The next
    two were mid-level office machines, Optiplex 2-something. All running
    XP/SP1 as delivered by Dell.

    Every other machine in the office, including 1 XP box and several W98
    boxes, accesses the WindowsUpdate site just fine.

    I unloaded our corporate firewall (Novell BorderManager) to see if it
    would help - it didn't.

    I made sure the XP Firewall was turned _off_ on all three machines - it
    was

    I undid a bunch of setting in IE that might have been preventing things
    from working, and that didn't help, either, but my guess is my solution
    may lie in there. Hmmm...

    Everything else works great, and the machines all hit the WindowsUpdate
    site just fine; it's just when it tries to take the next step, which is
    some sort of catalogue of the machine so that it can present a list of
    required updates, it gives the error message. No crash, no blue screen,
    just an error message - Windows Update Error.

    Any clues, anyone?

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Steve Freides

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Steve Freides

    S.A. Guest

    S-

    In control panel and P2P Networking in options make sure that "Notify before
    installing automatic updates" is checked. Then in "about" click on check
    for updates.

    Clanton

    S.A., Aug 1, 2003