    I've never had this problem before using Vista. Word works fine
    otherwise, and the files are fine. I've got Office '03.

    Thanks

    t8769, Apr 1, 2008

  2. What are the chances these files are in the new Word/Office 2007 format,
    with file extensions of .docx ?

    Your Word '03 won't open these, without extra help and tools from
    Microsloth. If so, you could also ask the sender to do a Save As and
    choose the standard .doc format.

    http://filext.com/file-extension/docx

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2008

  3. t8769

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    First off, I don't have Vista and won't give it house room but the basic
    principles should apply:-

    Save one of these Word files to your desktop. Double click on it.
    Provided the sender hasn't been "helpful" and changed the file
    extension, you should be offered a choice of programs to open it with,
    one of which will be Word. Tick any boxes that say something like
    "always use this program to open these files."

    You could also try a repair of Office 2003 which should re-associate the
    files extension with Word.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 1, 2008
  4. t8769

    Vista WM Guest

    You simply right-click the file in the email and you save the file to
    the HD. You can use Word 2003 and then you can open the file with Word
    2003 or you can use Explore, right click the file, Open With and select
    Word 2003 as the program to open the file. Then Vista will know. Or if
    you have MS Works on the machine then you can use it too, but you'll
    have to select open file in Word 2003 format off of menu File/Open on
    the Work's Word document.

    Vista WM, Apr 1, 2008
  5. Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
    File Formats
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&DisplayLang=en
    or use http://tinyurl.com/y5w78r

    GreenieLeBrun, Apr 1, 2008
  6. t8769

    Smirnoff Guest

    Smirnoff, Apr 2, 2008
  7. t8769

    t8769 Guest

    Thanks for the tips

    The thing is, for the last 10 years I've been clicking on Word files
    in Outlook Express and opening them without any problems.

    Now in Vista, I cannot do that,. I have to save it to desktop, then
    open it.. crazy!

    Why can't I just do what I've been doing for the last 8 years?

    I was hoping there might be some way to sort this out.

    I've also found that when I right click and go to 'New' there's no
    Word document in there, but there are other programms. What on earth
    is going on, I have Word 03, which is licensed and installed
    correctly..

    Thanks

    t8769, Apr 3, 2008