Windows XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Dewhurst, Apr 19, 2014.

  1. Now that XP is unsupported are there any particular risks involved in continuing to use it?

    Roger Dewhurst, Apr 19, 2014

  2. Roger Dewhurst

    Your Name Guest

    Nope, no more than there were a month ago.

    Your Name, Apr 19, 2014

  3. I would say that so long as you're behind a router with a decent full
    firewall, and you're using up to date third party security software
    (antivirus/~spyware) you have little to worry about so long as you're
    careful about opening documents from unverified sources that may turn up
    on your machine, especially if you turn off suspect services like
    messenger and upnp if you don't actually need them.

    We don't run any software that has been known to have MS vulnerabilities
    that tend to get exploited and 'hacked at' ... from MS Word via Outlook
    to MSIE and I have no hesitation about keeping on running Win XP on
    some machines on our network until the hardware breaks and I get new kit
    that doesn't come with xp drivers any more.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 20, 2014

  4. No NO NO !

    Frank Williams, Apr 20, 2014
  5. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    Yes, yes, yes. There are always risks. EMB touched on one when he
    mentioned that virus writers and malware writers might target XP since
    there will be no updates. I don't think that that is a big risk, as even
    the virus writers realise that XP won't be around for ever, and that all
    major flaws have probably been uncovered. Virus writers will be
    targetting newer OSes running on newer more powerful machines. After
    all, would you attack an ancient operating system, running a small
    memory, not much storage and a pedestrian CPU, or a newer OS with plenty
    of memory, terabyte disks and multicore CPUs?

    There are risks but they are very small. There are systems still running
    NT4-SP6A and I doubt that anyone is interested in trying to break into
    them. XP is in a similar situation as NT4-SP6A was when it reached end
    of life.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 20, 2014
  6. Frank Williams, Apr 20, 2014

  7. That does not matter if you have a decent firewall and virus/malware
    software installed.

    That is the comments that have been posted on the net..

    Frank Williams, Apr 20, 2014
  8. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    Keep telling yourself that as they plunder your computer.

    In fact you are pretty safe with XP, (with a firewall and malware
    software) but you are not completely safe. And wasn't it you that was
    banging on about firewalls not stopping everything? Or maybe that was
    your mate Lennier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 21, 2014
  9. Roger Dewhurst

    Gordon Guest

    a) Yes

    b) Maybe

    c) Time will know.

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2014

  10. Thanks to all for your comments.

    Roger Dewhurst, Apr 21, 2014
  11. As always, the least secure part of any system is the wet ware. Read email in
    plain text, don't click links, don't run things from the interweb thingy,
    don;t let dodgy foreigners that randomly ring you 'fix' your computer, and you
    are largely safe. Of course, that's not going to happen as people tend to be
    stupid. :)
    And recent data indicates that even supposedly safe s/w can have
    unexpected bugs/features.

    All that typed, be as paranoid as you like. Me ... I choose no paranoia (and
    linux mint :) ).

    As usual, mileages vary.

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 22, 2014