Windows XP utility for setting file date / time to when-taken in EXIF data?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dilip Barman, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Dilip Barman

    Dilip Barman Guest

    Are there any free and simple utilities that can:

    * Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time a .jpg
    image was taken

    * Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken

    * Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user interface or
    from a command line

    * Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than setting
    the date and time

    * Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with many
    other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those features
    can easily be ignored

    * Runs under Windows XP

    Thanks!

    --Dilip

    Dilip Barman, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Dilip Barman wrote:
    > Are there any free and simple utilities that can:

    Dilip,

    Take a look at PIE - Picture Information Extractor

    http://www.picmeta.com

    Not free, and no command-line, but it does much of what you need and more,
    such as lossless JPEG image rotation.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Dilip Barman

    wald Guest

    (Dilip Barman) wrote:

    > Are there any free and simple utilities that can:
    >
    > * Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time
    > a .jpg image was taken
    >
    > * Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken
    >
    > * Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user
    > interface or from a command line
    >
    > * Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than
    > setting the date and time
    >
    > * Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with
    > many other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those
    > features can easily be ignored
    >
    > * Runs under Windows XP

    Sounds like a perfect job for a Python script... I don't have the
    time to write it for you, though :)

    There's a good EXIF module with some example code available over
    here:

    http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/digital_camera.html

    Regards,
    Wald

    wald, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Dilip Barman

    Matt Ion Guest

    Try "Exif-Viewer 2". Get it at www.amarra.de

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 13, 2004
  5. On 12 Aug 2004 23:55:10 -0700, (Dilip Barman)
    wrote:

    >Are there any free and simple utilities that can:
    >
    >* Read EXIF data of one or multiple files for the date and time a .jpg
    >image was taken
    >
    >* Set the Windows file date / time to this time-picture-taken
    >
    >* Work in individual or batch mode, with a graphical user interface or
    >from a command line
    >
    >* Not modify the EXIF data or the file in any way other than setting
    >the date and time
    >
    >* Be a simple utility for this and not a "kitchen sink" with many
    >other features such as extracting EXIF fields, unless those features
    >can easily be ignored
    >
    >* Runs under Windows XP

    Dilip,

    I recently tried a few and finally picked Jhead from
    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/.

    It doesn't have a graphical interface, but I don't think I'll
    ever miss that. jhead -h outputs the help, so no problem there.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 13, 2004