Windows XP SP2 and Symantec Pull-out

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Matt, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Just wanted to be among the first to sound the alarm

    According to Symantec's website Windows XP SP2 compatibility
    and Norton Anti Virus software versions previous to the latest 2004 version,
    will NOT be supported. There is a patch (called WMI) for Norton to make
    compatible their software with SP2 .It was promised to users of Norton AV
    products going back to the 2002 Version on the Symantec website

    Recently the Website is showing this:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...213?OpenDocument&tpre=&csm=no&src=con_web_nam

    Clearly something has changed here. As recently as yesterday , this same
    link
    was showing versions 2003 and 2002 of the popular Norton Anti-Virus program

    Looks like our subscription payments and recent purchases of Norton
    AntiVirus
    are NULL and VOID with respect to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

    Not looking to good for Symantec right now. I hope this is a website error

    Matt, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Matt

    mbowen83 Guest

    I don't like symantec anyway, so I say good riddance. Norton AV was (for
    some reason beyond my comprehension) causing my system boot time to slow
    from appx. 30 sec to about 7 min. After a week of trying to figure out
    what was causing this odd behavior I uninstalled norton av and presto,
    my system was back to normal. I even reinstalled norton (after cleaning
    up) just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough the problem was
    back. Since then I have been using McAfee and have had none of the above
    mentioned problems.

    IMO: Norton sucks.

    mbowen83, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Matt

    Thor Guest

    Whatever the case, if this is true it will cause howls of protest among the
    consumers who have paid-up for continued NAV subscriptions, and SP2 will
    download onto their machines shortly with auto-update, virtually
    guaranteeing something will go wrong if there is some inherent conflict
    between SP2 and NAV. I can see the feces hitting the rotary oscillator on
    this one.

    Thor, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Matt

    Ionizer Guest

    error

    I found this *very* reassuring page:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html?src=ivr_na_con#4 Apparently
    SP2 "will not affect" any and every piece of Norton software, and life can
    go on as blissfully as before.

    My NAV 2003 subscription expires 7 days from now, but I think it's going
    to take me longer than that to decide whether or not to install SP2. I
    don't think I'll be sending Symantec my credit card info this time,
    though.

    Ionizer, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Matt

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    NIS released a update the other day to fix the problems with concerning
    Norton's and SP2, I haven't heard anything about it affecting NAV though.

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Matt

    Thor Guest

    Nice to know, but I found this little bit of info on their FAQ a bit
    misleading.

    Q: With Service Pack 2 installed, do I even need my Symantec antivirus
    and firewall products?
    A: Absolutely. Although Windows® XP Service Pack 2 monitors your
    antivirus software, it has no antivirus capability itself. Your continued
    use of Norton AntiVirus is crucial to the security of your computer. Norton
    AntiVirus automatically detects and deletes worms, Trojan horses, and
    viruses without interrupting your work. Norton AntiVirus detects malicious
    code that is stored in compressed files and file archives, and identifies
    and alerts you to the presence of spyware.

    The Windows Firewall is designed to monitor and control inbound
    network traffic only. It does not provide outbound traffic protection,
    intrusion detection and response, or privacy controls -- all critical to
    securing your computer from outside attacks. Norton Personal Firewall and
    Norton Internet Security controls all outgoing network traffic. It alerts
    you to intrusion attempts and automatically blocks all traffic from the
    attacker. Norton Personal Firewall protects your privacy by filtering
    confidential information (like phone numbers, credit card numbers, and bank
    account numbers) and by blocking cookies on a site-to-site basis.

    Considering the fact that the SP2 firewall version DOES monitor outbound
    connections, the above statement is a bit strange.

    Thor, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Matt

    mcp6453 Guest

    Why not just head for EZ-Antivirus? You can get a year for free at
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/. We have never had a performance
    problem with a machine using this AV software that was attributable to
    the AV software. I quit using NAV a long time ago because of the
    problems discussed. The main problem we experienced was Norton
    Systemworks trashing Windows XP and then not being able to uninstall the
    program.

    mcp6453, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Matt

    Thor Guest

    I don't use NAV. I was just commenting on the ramifications of screwing over
    thousands of NAV subscribers. Evidently that isn't going to happen, which
    regardless of how I feel about Norton, is a good thing.

    Thor, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Matt

    Joe Guest

    "mbowen83" wrote ..
    Amen to that. I bought NAV2004 and like you tried it for over a month
    before taking it off and going back to 2003. 2004 was just hitting
    performance something terrible. I think Norton Pays off review people or
    something. If you look at PC Magazine NAV2004 gets an editors choice award
    yet when you read on down into the user ratings it only gets a 2 out of 5
    star rating with almost everyone saying basically the same thing, that it a
    pig of a program, a resource hog and hits performance way to bad. Same thing
    at CNET editors give it 7.8 out of 10 yet out of 89 users that wrote in 88%
    says thumbs down 12% say thumbs up all saying the same performance thing.
    But back to the original issue of SP2. Nobody has said this exactly
    right yet. So I will very simply.

    Norton2003 will still run and protect you computer just as it always has
    with Service Pack 2 installed. The only "Glitch" if you want to call it that
    is,.. SP2 has added a feature to allow Windows to monitor the status of your
    Virus software. This feature does not work with 2003, So you will get a
    windows popup alerting you that Windows can not determine the status of your
    Virus software. This does not mean NAV is not working just that Windows can
    not determine if it is or not. All you have to do is turn off this
    monitoring feature and Windows will quit annoying you with messages, you
    will get all the other benefits of SP2 and NAV 2003 will keep on working
    just as it always has.

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Matt

    Ionizer Guest

    Hi, Joe:

    Do you have a link to this information? I really do have faith in my NAV
    2003 and would like to continue using it if it is compatible with SP2. If
    it's just a case of deactivating or otherwise ignoring the monitoring
    feature, that's fine with me. I quickly learned to ignore McAfee Security
    Center's unfounded nagging about the supposed inadequacies of my system's
    security.

    Thanks,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Matt

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    That's put a end to this thread.

    I downloaded and installed SP2 today and Norton's works absolutely fine with
    it.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Matt

    Joe Guest

    I do not have links but I have been running SP2 for months now ( I was
    running the Beta version befor the final release ) and NAV 2003 runs just
    peechy with it. Just like it always has.

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 15, 2004
  13. Matt

    Matt Guest

    That's put a end to this thread.

    LLoyd, you either have Norton products dated 2004 or newer or
    you are disabling the Windows XP SP2 feature of Anti-Virus monitoring.

    Norton Anti-Virus versions from 2003 and older are not being
    corrected at this time.

    There may be a patch in the works, but as I stated earlier,
    the Symantec website shows products affected by the WMI Update
    (the feature of SP2 that monitors AV programs) are all 2004 versions.

    This Symantec webpage just changed from listing 2003 and 2002 versions
    to only the 2004 versions as of Aug 13, 2004. Don't know if they are
    planning a pull-out of support for older products- I just wanted to sound
    the alarm hoping that they will see the importance of supporting
    their legacy applications that people like myself spent good money
    on initially and currently with subscription payments

    Matt, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Matt

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I'm running NAV 2004 Matt, but a couple of my friends run 2002, 2003 with
    SP2 and they haven't mentioned any problems to me.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 15, 2004
  15. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I do not have links but I have been running SP2 for months now ( I was
    Oh hey yes it runs g-r-e-a-t
    I agree with you all - my Norton 2003 AV and Norton Sys Works 2002 w/AV
    both are rolling along nicely.

    It's just that the silly new Windows XP Security Center
    reports there is a problem - - So you disable the Sec Center Anti-Virus
    monitoring for your AV program and peachy peachy all around.
    Coupla clicks and you're done.

    My point is the idea of Windows Security Center is to help out your typical
    computer
    boob and give them some guidance on things uhh security. :)

    That being said, it would be a shame if YTCB's (your typical computer boob)
    *not us mind you* will feel the need to dump the old version and (Symantec's
    Stockholders s-m-i-l-e and say "dividend" ) buy the latest and greatest
    just
    to make all the pieces play nice with one another.

    I disabled the monitoring on one machine - Norton AV 2003 is putting along
    nicely.
    Would like to use the XP SP2 feature if I can though

    Matt, Aug 15, 2004
  16. Matt

    Michael-NC Guest

    AFAIK, the SP2 firewall doesn't monitor outbound traffic. I've read that
    statement in multiple articles regarding SP2.

    Michael-NC, Aug 15, 2004
  17. Matt

    Thor Guest

    AFAIK, the SP2 firewall doesn't monitor outbound traffic. I've read that
    It would appear that this is correct. I was going by some SP2 articles I had
    read months ago, that stated outbound monitoring would be a feature of the
    new windows firewall in Sp2. Evidently that was either changed, or
    completely incorrect. I just checked MS's detailed descriptions of the new
    firewall functions, and outbound monitoring isn't among them. Perhaps a
    concession to the 3rd party firewall software providers? hmm.........

    Thor, Aug 15, 2004
  18. Matt

    Matt Guest

    UPDATE : Aug 17, 2004

    Symantec has released information that the 2003
    Versions of Norton Anti Virus will be patched
    with the WMI update.

    This will eliminate my earlier concern about
    Windows XP SP2's Security Center
    and Norton compatibility.

    Took them awhile to release and still do not
    have the update, but they have said it will
    be patched.

    Matt, Aug 17, 2004
  19. Matt

    Don Enderton Guest

    Matt, where did you see this? I don't find this information anywhere on the
    Symantec site.

    - Don (user of the 2003 version of NAV and XP SP2)

    Don Enderton, Aug 17, 2004
  20. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, where did you see this? I don't find this information anywhere
    on the

    I know how you feel Don. That was my original concern.

    A freind had seen this info on a website - not Symantec's. So I
    followed up with a call to public relations and was given
    the word that 2003 Anti-Virus will be supported and
    a patch will be released "shortly".

    They could have given us a heads up on the website , right ?

    anyway, I trust what they are saying will occur and am mildly
    relieved.

    Matt, Aug 17, 2004