Windows XP SP-2 Can't See New 200GB HDD! - Neither Can BIOS!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Okay I've solved the issue - sort of. I was able to get into the BIOS and
    peek around - something I am not comfy in doing but I did. The BIOS is
    reporting this drive as 38MB - NOT 200GB! Can this be possible that the
    BIOS would be reading it totally wrong?

    I know the drive is not formatted - at least I doubt that it is. I just
    bought this Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200P0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133
    drive from them. None of my drives have ever come formatted that I've
    purchased from Newegg.com so either there's an issue with my BIOS - or the
    HDD itself.

    Please - what can I do as a person that really isn't comfortable messing
    around in the BIOS -- besides taking it to some computer "expert" who's
    going to charge an arm and a leg. Is there an easy and simple way around
    this? I've never had this issue before with the two 80GB Western Digital
    drives, nor the 40GB Maxtor I have currently as my "external" HDD. Why
    would the BIOS be able to read and recognize the two 80GB HDDs fine - but
    not this 200GB drive!? It's telling me the drive is only about 38MB!

    Please - what can I do to solve this, short of telling newegg.com their
    drive sucks!

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    New update - I went back into the BIOS.

    Here's what it says:

    My Disk 0 (main disk) is an 80GB Western Digital. It actually SAYS 80 GB in
    the BIOS area.

    But now on Disk 1 (the slave drive), which is SUPPOSED to be a 200 GB HDD
    from Maxtor --- it says I have a 33822 MB drive.

    HUH?!?!?!

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006

  3. Kyle :o\)

    Pennywise Guest

    |>The BIOS is
    |>reporting this drive as 38MB - NOT 200GB!

    Check your jumpers on the drive.

    Jumpers? = 1-800-callagek

    Pennywise, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    In Mara
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but
    the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it
    away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded,
    so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
    I'm burning the MaxBlast 4 to CD now - and found out how to make it bootable
    in Nero -- finally!

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006
  5. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Ugh! Somehow I got German - or some other whacked-out language on the first
    MaxBlast I downloaded! I'm trying again from the URL you gave me, Mara.
    ~crossing fingers~

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006
  6. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Ugh! Somehow I got German - or some other whacked-out language on
    Same thing! The ZIP file has an ISO inside that when burned to CD-ROM comes
    up German for me! WTF?

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006
  7. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Very weird - both the PowerMax and MaxBlast files came in as German, or
    Dutch, or something akin to that! The PowerMax files ended in EN - which
    I'm assuming would be English. I'm going to bed. This has been way too
    much for a 24-hour period. I'll read any advice in the AM.

    Thanks for trying Mara - I really do appreciate it!

    Kyle :o\), Jul 8, 2006
  8. Kyle :o\)

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jul 8, 2006
  9. Mara <> said in

    Mara gives good head, even if she is a woman.

    Rectum Burrrn

    Rectum Burrrne, Jul 8, 2006
  10. My advice is that you let someone else do it (like the 12 yr old kid down
    the street) because it's obvious you're too incompetent to do it by
    yourself. Putz.

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burrrn, Jul 8, 2006
  11. Kyle :o\)

    Dustin Guest

    wrote in 4ax.com:
    It's not the jumpers, his bios likely has a limit of 137gigs and no more.
    He will need to acquire a controller card or take a chance and flash his
    bios with newer firmware.

    The maxblast software isn't going to help in this case. You either need to
    put the drive on a controller card or update the bios to properly support
    it, before you load windows onto it.

    Dustin, Jul 9, 2006
  12. Kyle :o\)

    Margolotta Guest

    I would say that you've HTNOTH, Dustin. Considering his previous graphics
    card was a 32MB GF2, I think it's safe to assume his system isn't in the
    first flush of youth, as it were... ;o)

    Margolotta, Jul 9, 2006
  13. Kyle :o\)

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Open your PC case, look carefull at the motherboard. Find
    manufacturer, mobo model and revision number (hpefully it's not a
    cheapie generic mobo with neither of these).

    Find your existing BIOS version by looking at the first screen just
    after the PC powers up (press Pause to freeze the screen).

    Go to manufacturer website, look up support, downloads, BIOS and see
    what BIOSes are available for your mobo.

    See if any of the BIOSes say anything about "large hard-disk support".

    In general, the latest BIOS version is the best one. If your version
    isn't the latest, get same and update. IMPORTANT: Follow BIOS
    instructions carefully.

    If your BIOS is already the latest, you will have to use a drive
    manager to get your old BIOS to recognise the 200GB drive correctly.

    good luck
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 9, 2006