    rebooting. Nothing seems to work! HELP! I have read about the AMD64 file
    being loaded onto the drive prior to CD install?? Or something to do with
    the i386 folder. Could I have screwed up my MBR? Bios?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 12, 2005

  2. It is possible that you do not have the correct storage drivers installed.
    You do not say anything about your system so it is hard to say. If you
    installed 32-bit Windows with XP Pro x64 already installed on the other
    drive, then I can understand why your computer is behaving this way. The
    rule is and always has been to install the versions of Windows starting with
    the older OS and then the newer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 12, 2005

  3. You need to tell us what kind of system you have, what kind of hard drive,
    and if you've loaded a driver using F6. I've covered F6 a couple of times on
    my blog, including a blog on what the difference is in when the machine
    reboots.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 12, 2005
  4. My system is an AMD Athlon 64 processor, 160GB Hitachi hard drive (master),
    Quantam Fireball 13.5GB hard drive (slave), 1GB ddr ram, original operating
    system loaded was Windows XP Pro 64bit Edition. Built the system from
    scratch and was working fine until I loaded the Windows XP Pro 32bit onto the
    slave drive.

    Do I attempt to load the storage drivers through F6? If so I do I look for
    them on my XP CD or hard drive CD? I don't see them on either.

    Is this enough information on my system...

    Thanks...

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 12, 2005
  5. When you say your hard drives are master and slave that tells me you are
    using the IDE controller. Is this correct? If so, that should not require
    drivers to be supplied. You did not say what motherboard you have.

    I am going to say this again. The order of installation of operating
    systems matters. If you already had x64 installed and then installed the
    x86 edition of XP, you installed the operating systems in the wrong order.
    The older (x86) has no knowledge of the newer (x64) system and it is the
    second system installed that sets up the boot options screen. If this is
    what you did, post back and tell us (plus the questions in the first
    paragraph) so we can help.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Yes, it is an IDE controller. Here is the system again including motherboard:

    My system is an AMD Athlon 64 processor, 160GB Hitachi hard drive (master),
    Quantam Fireball 13.5GB hard drive (slave), 1GB ddr ram, original operating
    system loaded was Windows XP Pro 64bit Edition. Built the system from
    scratch and was working fine until I loaded the Windows XP Pro 32bit onto the
    slave drive. Motherboard is an Asus A8V Deluxe.

    I have formatted the primary (master) HD over and over and attempted to load
    the original XP 64bit with the same setup loop problem. My hard drive has a
    cd with it, would I need to load something from that cd to the formatted HD
    before doing a new Windows install?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Ive had similar problems with my XP (both 32 & 64) & my seagate HDDs. The OS
    simply doesnt seem to recognize that the hdds are there after they copy the
    setup files. THe work around ive tried is use the disc wizard tool that came
    with your HDD to enable the hdd partition to run windows XP or other OS.
    Remeber the time of Win98 when u used format /s after fdisk & then. I think
    that doesnt happen with XP. ive faced this problem many times & I could only
    solve it using disc wizard that came with my seagate hdd.

    I know im not the expert around here. corrections in my experience are
    please welcome :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 13, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Then you don't need any "F6" drivers during the setup...
    You definitely don't need any "F6" drivers...
    There is NOTHING you need to load from the CD that came with your hard
    drive.

    It sounds to me like, since both installs got messed up during this process,
    you have nothing to lose and may as well start over. In the process you
    should heed Colin's good advice below...

    ....and start by installing x86 XP on the primary and then after, install x64
    on the other. BOTH should be CLEAN installs which should be allowed to
    format each relevant partition during the setup process.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 13, 2005
  9. .....and start by installing x86 XP on the primary and then after, install x64
    on the other. BOTH should be CLEAN installs which should be allowed to
    format each relevant partition during the setup process.

    I tried a clean install of x86 XP no the primary ..same loop..tried
    formatting and a clean install of x64 on the primary..same loop.

    What could I have messed up? When I format from the recovery/repair console
    I have only formatted the primary drive. I have even taken the secondary
    drive out of the boot sequence before. Nothing lets me install either
    version of XP. Is it getting the boot.ini from one version when I try to
    load another?

    There is only one large partition on the primary and it is the only one I
    have messed with. I must be leaving something out of my description of
    "clean install".

    Sorry for so many questions...where am I going wrong......

    Thanks so much for digging with me...

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 13, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    You say "same loop"?

    Can you describe that loop in detail and tell me EXACTLY where/when it is
    occuring?

    Colin Nowell, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Disconnect all devices except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. That
    includes the slave hdd. Boot into the XP x86 cd and step through the
    instructions until you reach the point where you select the partition to
    install too. Delete the existing partition and then create a new one.
    Format and proceed with the installation. When the OS is up and you are
    satisfied with it, reconnect the second drive and boot the system with the
    XP x64 cd. Repeat the process until you reach the partition selection.
    Delete and create the partition on the second drive and proceed with the x64
    installation. If this does not work, then there is a hardware issue
    somewhere or a BIOS setting that is interfering.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Colin B and Colin N:

    Thank you both. I think I'll try the information below. I have not done
    that exact thing when formatting. I have left the same original patitions in
    place.

    As for the loop. After installing either version x86 or x64 when the setup
    says rebooting in 14 seconds remove floppy...I have removed the setup CD and
    on reboot it asks for a boot device or disk. If I do not remove the CD it
    starts the entire setup process over again from the beginning. I was told
    before to wait after it asks for the boot device and I have waited over an
    hour and nothing happens. It's not like it is hanging or anything it is
    waiting for a manual response.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 13, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    After the first reboot, leave the cd in the drive, but DON'T press any key,
    let the system start normally and copy the files.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 13, 2005
  14. When it says remove the floppy it is not referring to the cd. It needs the
    cd during stage two.

    Your boot order needs to be set in the BIOS with the cd drive before the
    hard drive, which I assume it is because it sounds like you are booting from
    the cd OK>

    When you first boot the machine you see the message "Hit any key to boot
    from the cd...." This first and only time you hit any key and let the
    system boot from the cd. That starts stage one at the end of which the
    system will reboot. There will be a message that the system will reboot.
    Be sure you have removed the driver diskette but leave the cd in.

    After this (and subsequent) reboot you see the message "Hit any key to boot
    from the cd...." again (because there is a bootable cd still in the drive).
    Do not hit any key this time and let the message time out. The system will
    boot from the setup files already copied to the hard drive.

    If you have been hitting any key at the second and subsequent "Hit any key
    to boot from the cd..." messages then the reason you have been in a loop is
    because you have been inadvertantly restarting the installation from the
    beginning.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Thanks for jumping in because that is =exactly= where I was coming from and
    the reason I asked about the "loop"...

    Colin Nowell, Dec 13, 2005
  16. I didn't think it was, but I don't even have a floppy drive.
    I have tried setting it both ways. Set to CD it starts the setup process on
    its on. Set to the HD it asks for a boot device...and it does nothing no
    matter what key you strike. If you put the CD in and wait it starts the
    setup process again.

    I never got that message "to boot from the CD"
    This is where I attempt to let it time out and it goes back into the setup
    with out hitting any key.
    Too weird...must be with the partitions...I have to call it a night...Plan
    on formatting tomorrow night and resetting all partitions...thanks again..

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 13, 2005
  17. You're welcome. I too saw what was coming.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  18. You're welcome and good luck.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 13, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    See posting 'Dual boot XP64 and XP32 dated 12/12 (European or American
    -) ) Asus boards seem to have a problem booting from the slave drive.
    Several times now on Nvidia boards and now one on Via. You could try what I
    had to do and set up a logical partition on the slave. Mine was SATA and
    yours is IDE, so may not be a solution for you, but read the other post for
    a possible solution.

    John Barnes, Dec 13, 2005
  20. The information below is the first thing that has made a change for me. Upon
    getting through the first part of the x86 setup. I thought I was getting
    there...

    Then I got the message: "txtsetup.fifs is corrupt or missing, status 2.
    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to continue."

    I have reset teh boot order and I do get the message to boot from the CD
    press any key...

    Any help on the message above?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?=, Dec 13, 2005