Windows XP Security Center

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by bagwash, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. bagwash

    bagwash Guest

    I'm trying to replace my current firewall with the Windows Firewall built
    into XP SP2, but on the Security Center screen I am advised under the
    Security Essentials heading that "The Security Center is currently
    unavailable because the Security Center service has not started or was
    stopped." Following the instructions to close and restart doesn't resolve
    the problem.

    How can I make the Security Center service available? Suggestions warmly
    appreciated.
     
    bagwash, Apr 19, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. bagwash

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:41:34 GMT, "bagwash" <>
    wrote:

    >How can I make the Security Center service available? Suggestions warmly
    >appreciated.


    Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    enter. Scroll down right side until you find Security Center. Right
    click on that and choose Properties. Change 'Startup Type' to
    Automatic, and then click the Start button below.

    --
    Zilbandy
     
    Zilbandy, Apr 19, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. bagwash

    Sebastian G Guest

    Zilbandy wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:41:34 GMT, "bagwash" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> How can I make the Security Center service available? Suggestions warmly
    >> appreciated.

    >
    > Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    > enter.



    Sure the fast way, but it sounds like guru magic (where the hell should a
    user know about "services.msc" from?). The official way is Start, Settings,
    Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (or Computer Configuration ->
    Services)

    > Scroll down right side until you find Security Center. Right


    > click on that and choose Properties. Change 'Startup Type' to
    > Automatic, and then click the Start button below.


    But without the "OK" or "Apply" button, after the next reboot it will still
    be disabled. :)


    Anyway, what the #!&% is the Security Center good for anyway? It just
    introduces unnecessary complexity to the system, which is quite the contrary
    of security - thus one should rather disable it.

    And since it normally runs by default but he found it disabled, one should
    take investigation on who disabled it. Such things don't happen magically
    over night, and non-admin users don't have the requires rights to change
    this configuration.
     
    Sebastian G, Apr 19, 2007
    #3
  4. bagwash

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:20:50 +0200, Sebastian G <>
    wrote:

    >Zilbandy wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:41:34 GMT, "bagwash" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can I make the Security Center service available? Suggestions warmly
    >>> appreciated.

    >>
    >> Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    >> enter.

    >
    >
    >Sure the fast way, but it sounds like guru magic (where the hell should a
    >user know about "services.msc" from?). The official way is Start, Settings,
    >Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (or Computer Configuration ->
    >Services)
    >
    > > Scroll down right side until you find Security Center. Right

    >
    >> click on that and choose Properties. Change 'Startup Type' to
    >> Automatic, and then click the Start button below.

    >
    >But without the "OK" or "Apply" button, after the next reboot it will still
    >be disabled. :)
    >
    >
    >Anyway, what the #!&% is the Security Center good for anyway? It just
    >introduces unnecessary complexity to the system, which is quite the contrary
    >of security - thus one should rather disable it.
    >
    >And since it normally runs by default but he found it disabled, one should
    >take investigation on who disabled it. Such things don't happen magically
    >over night, and non-admin users don't have the requires rights to change
    >this configuration.


    Most users run xp as administrator so shit can happen.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Apr 19, 2007
    #4
  5. bagwash

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:20:50 +0200, Sebastian G <>
    wrote:

    >> Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    >> enter.

    >
    >
    >Sure the fast way, but it sounds like guru magic (where the hell should a
    >user know about "services.msc" from?). The official way is Start, Settings,
    >Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (or Computer Configuration ->
    >Services)


    There's usually more than one way to do things in Windows. I gave one,
    you gave another. What's your point?

    >But without the "OK" or "Apply" button, after the next reboot it will still
    >be disabled. :)


    Ok, I wasn't totally complete in my reply, but isn't your commenting
    on that issue like the pot calling the kettle black?

    >Anyway, what the #!&% is the Security Center good for anyway? It just
    >introduces unnecessary complexity to the system, which is quite the contrary
    >of security - thus one should rather disable it.


    I have mine disabled, so on this part, I agree with you. But, that
    wasn't the original posters question, was it?

    --
    Zilbandy
     
    Zilbandy, Apr 19, 2007
    #5
  6. bagwash

    Sebastian G Guest

    Zilbandy wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:20:50 +0200, Sebastian G <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    >>> enter.

    >>
    >> Sure the fast way, but it sounds like guru magic (where the hell should a
    >> user know about "services.msc" from?). The official way is Start, Settings,
    >> Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (or Computer Configuration ->
    >> Services)

    >
    > There's usually more than one way to do things in Windows. I gave one,
    > you gave another. What's your point?



    That "services.msc" is non-obvious for the users and sounds like you'd have
    some secret knowledge that is hard to obtain. Indeed the official online
    help won't tell such a thing to you either.

    Most users fear such circumstances.

    Thus, it's good behaviour to first name the official way (following the
    intended GUI elements) and then provide a shortcut (to tell that these GUI
    elements don't do anything else than launching "services.msc" from the
    default path).
     
    Sebastian G, Apr 20, 2007
    #6
  7. bagwash

    bagwash Guest

    Thanks for these suggestions, but I'm afraid they haven't resolved the
    problem.
    In the "Security Center Properties (Local computer)" window the setting
    already shows as "Automatic", though immediately below that it says "Service
    status: Stopped".
    So I click on the Start button, but that produces "Could not start the
    Security Center service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency
    service or group failed to start".
    Mention of dependency service prompts me to clock on the Dependencies tab,
    which produces the Internal Error message "WBEM error features not
    available. Upgrade WMI to a new build".
    If I was feeling a bit lost before, I'm now seriously adrift! Any further
    ideas please?
     
    bagwash, Apr 20, 2007
    #7
  8. bagwash

    Sebastian G. Guest

    bagwash wrote:

    > Happy to try this, but - forgive my ignorance - what do I do with it?
    > Start/Run and paste it in there?



    Which part of "batch script" didn't you understand? It's a serialized and
    control-structure set of shell commands, usually supplied in a file with the
    extension ".cmd".

    Since this script is also linear, you might as well input each line
    separately at the command prompt. (However, do replace all "%%i" with "%i",
    since no escaping is needed.)


    And please, fix your damn quoting.
     
    Sebastian G., Apr 22, 2007
    #8
  9. bagwash

    by Malcolm

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks. i could not find such help from Microsoft after over an hour of searching there.
     
    by Malcolm, Jan 7, 2012
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.