    the problem.

    How can I make the Security Center service available? Suggestions warmly
    appreciated.

    bagwash, Apr 19, 2007

  2. bagwash

    Zilbandy Guest

    Go to Start / Run / and type 'services.msc' without the quotes and hit
    enter. Scroll down right side until you find Security Center. Right
    click on that and choose Properties. Change 'Startup Type' to
    Automatic, and then click the Start button below.

    Zilbandy, Apr 19, 2007

  3. bagwash

    Sebastian G Guest

    Sure the fast way, but it sounds like guru magic (where the hell should a
    user know about "services.msc" from?). The official way is Start, Settings,
    Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (or Computer Configuration ->
    Services)
    But without the "OK" or "Apply" button, after the next reboot it will still
    be disabled. :)

    Anyway, what the #!&% is the Security Center good for anyway? It just
    introduces unnecessary complexity to the system, which is quite the contrary
    of security - thus one should rather disable it.

    And since it normally runs by default but he found it disabled, one should
    take investigation on who disabled it. Such things don't happen magically
    over night, and non-admin users don't have the requires rights to change
    this configuration.

    Sebastian G, Apr 19, 2007
  4. bagwash

    Jim Watt Guest

    Most users run xp as administrator so shit can happen.

    Jim Watt, Apr 19, 2007
  5. bagwash

    Zilbandy Guest

    There's usually more than one way to do things in Windows. I gave one,
    you gave another. What's your point?
    Ok, I wasn't totally complete in my reply, but isn't your commenting
    on that issue like the pot calling the kettle black?
    I have mine disabled, so on this part, I agree with you. But, that
    wasn't the original posters question, was it?

    Zilbandy, Apr 19, 2007
  6. bagwash

    Sebastian G Guest

    That "services.msc" is non-obvious for the users and sounds like you'd have
    some secret knowledge that is hard to obtain. Indeed the official online
    help won't tell such a thing to you either.

    Most users fear such circumstances.

    Thus, it's good behaviour to first name the official way (following the
    intended GUI elements) and then provide a shortcut (to tell that these GUI
    elements don't do anything else than launching "services.msc" from the
    default path).

    Sebastian G, Apr 20, 2007
  7. bagwash

    bagwash Guest

    Thanks for these suggestions, but I'm afraid they haven't resolved the
    problem.
    In the "Security Center Properties (Local computer)" window the setting
    already shows as "Automatic", though immediately below that it says "Service
    status: Stopped".
    So I click on the Start button, but that produces "Could not start the
    Security Center service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency
    service or group failed to start".
    Mention of dependency service prompts me to clock on the Dependencies tab,
    which produces the Internal Error message "WBEM error features not
    available. Upgrade WMI to a new build".
    If I was feeling a bit lost before, I'm now seriously adrift! Any further
    ideas please?

    bagwash, Apr 20, 2007
  8. bagwash

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Which part of "batch script" didn't you understand? It's a serialized and
    control-structure set of shell commands, usually supplied in a file with the
    extension ".cmd".

    Since this script is also linear, you might as well input each line
    separately at the command prompt. (However, do replace all "%%i" with "%i",
    since no escaping is needed.)

    And please, fix your damn quoting.

    Sebastian G., Apr 22, 2007
  9. bagwash

    by Malcolm

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks. i could not find such help from Microsoft after over an hour of searching there.

    by Malcolm, Jan 7, 2012