    just be able to run directly (which also works on the windows 98
    clients.

    Best regards.

    Mads W., May 6, 2005

  2. Win XP want run most Win 98 programs. You need to enable Win XP program you
    want to run in the Win 98 program. Right clicking the Win XP program, click
    'properties' then 'tick' check box with 'run as win 98'.

    Jurgen Klingemann, May 6, 2005

  3. Mads W.

    Miggsee Guest

    I've been running WinXP since before they released it to the masses. I have
    no problems with running Win98 programs.

    Miggsee, May 6, 2005
  4. Mads W.

    Miggsee Guest

    ..... and the program is???

    Miggsee, May 6, 2005
  5. Mads W.

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    What is this mystery application / version?

    Before you go looking for anything esoteric regarding the networking aspect
    of this have you actually found out whether the application is WinXP
    compatible? For instance, copy the file(s) for the application to a local
    drive of the WinXP workstation and run it from there.

    If it doesn't work from the local drive then it's an application that WinXP
    doesn't like. You'd be left with trying to run the application using WinXP's
    Win98 compatibility mode (best of luck) or buying a more recent version of
    it. Once you get a version that works from a local, non-removeable drive you
    can re-try over the network.

    If it works locally but not from the network does (and bearing in mind it
    might be a Win98 vintage application) are you attempting to run it directly
    from a UNC path / My Network Places? Some older applications will only
    function from a drive letter. You could map a drive to the UNC path where
    the executable resides.

    For example, if the application resides in...

    \\SERVERNAME\SHARE\MYAPP.EXE

    ....then create a drive mapping ( e.g. X: ) to

    \\SERVERNAME\SHARE\

    ....and try running it from X:\MYAPP.EXE

    Dave Lear, May 6, 2005