Windows XP question...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Folks, I'm still running XP and am happy with it. However I've noticed
    new behaviour recently that has actually caught me out a couple of times.

    It used to be that, if you copied files or folders into a folder or onto a
    flash drive (for instance) they would stay in the order that they were
    copied until you went 'View' - 'Refresh'. However, I noticed a wee while ago
    that my folders have started periodically refreshing themselves (and
    alphabetising the contents). It seems to happen several times a minute.

    Is anyone else still using XP and seeing this? (I download and apply all
    updates.) The first time I noticed it was when I (thought) I knew that I was
    deleting first, third and sixth files from a flash drive and when I'd done
    it realised that they'd 'moved' and I'd deleted the wrong ones. I ran my AV
    and malware programmes but they found nothing.

    So, anyone? If it *is* a new feature is there a way to turn it off?

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update was
    responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I gather is
    also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it either) but the only
    'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've deleted the
    registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a rename.

    Richard, Apr 20, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shit yeah. I hope that I've fixed it with that reg edit. I haven't been into
    folders much tonight, will find out soon I guess.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    So, just as a follow-up - The fix located at the link above *did* work
    (thank the gods). Now my folders don't keep auto-sorting every ~20 seconds -
    or at all! Woohoo! <g>

    ~misfit~, Apr 29, 2012