Windows XP Professional to XP Home, how to retrieve past files? Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MINxJAE, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. MINxJAE

    MINxJAE Guest

    One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
    computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
    corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
    it."
    I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
    chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
    had and found.
    Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
    checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
    couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
    everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
    I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
    from before is still in my computer.
    Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
    created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
    previous XP Professional version.
    I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
    to get out from my XP Professional version account.
    Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
    information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
    Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

    MINxJAE, Jul 3, 2007

  2. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    There are two repair options... next time use the second one.

    You need to create another user account and transfer almost everything
    from the old to the new.

    Can't access the directory - Google: taking access of a directory.

    Pennywise, Jul 3, 2007

  3. MINxJAE

    MINxJAE Guest

    Hmm, almost. The thing is, when i try to open the folder i need to get
    into, which is from the Professional XP one, it says C:\Docum... is
    not accessible. Access is Denied...

    Is there anything else?

    MINxJAE, Jul 3, 2007
  4. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    Didn't google did ya... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    Pennywise, Jul 3, 2007
  5. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    "If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple
    File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File
    sharing when it is not joined to a domain."

    This could cause you a problem (finding it).

    Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.
    Way down at the bottom is simple file sharing - disable if needed.

    Pennywise, Jul 3, 2007
  6. MINxJAE

    Ron Martell Guest

    You may need to "take ownership" of the files. With XP Home edition
    you will have to boot into Safe Mode in order to get access to the
    security tab in the folder properties.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  7. MINxJAE

    Ron Martell Guest

    Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
    articles, woudn't it.

    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  8. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    What's your password?

    "Sign into the MVP site

    Please sign in here.

    The content you have selected is available only to members"

    Pennywise, Jul 3, 2007
  9. MINxJAE

    Evan Platt Guest

    You can use myne.

    It's ********* .

    Evan Platt, Jul 3, 2007
  10. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jul 3, 2007
  11. MINxJAE

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  12. MINxJAE

    MINxJAE Guest

    well i fixed it!!! thank you so much . you are
    freakin ninja man! haha

    MINxJAE, Jul 5, 2007
  13. MINxJAE

    Pennywise Guest

    Glad it worked out for you, and glad to of helped.

    Pennywise, Jul 6, 2007