    Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Have been unable to
    get help from Microsoft. Would run linux if I could, but chipset locked by
    Compaq to only allow XP.

    teh big gazzy¬g, Aug 14, 2004

  2. teh big gazzy¬g

    Ron Martell Guest

    No such thing as a "corporate" version of Windows XP.

    That misnomer is sometimes used in conjunction with a volume licensed
    version of XP.

    Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1 for Windows XP was a beta version,
    and the basic definition of beta is "too full of bugs to be released".
    You seem to have discovered at least one of these bugs.

    First thing to do is to uninstall the SP2RC1 and then go to the
    Windows Update site and download the final Released To Manufacturing
    version of Service Pack 2 and install it. You may have to wait a few
    days before it becomes generally available via Windows Update.

    You should be able to upgrade to the R.T.M. version without
    uninstalling RC1 - Microsoft says this is a valid and supported path -
    but being as you are having problems with RC1 I suggest that you
    uninstall it, and verify that the problems have also gone away, before
    installing the RTM version of Service Pack 2.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 14, 2004

  3. teh big gazzy¬g

    Unk Guest

    Disable Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/registry/rtips9.shtml

    Unk, Aug 14, 2004
  4. From what I've been reading, many are finding that the final fits that
    description as well.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 14, 2004
  5. teh big gazzy¬g

    Brian Guest

    stop lying.....

    Brian, Aug 14, 2004
  6. teh big gazzy¬g

    mAineAc Guest

    This is untrue and would be illegal to force you to use a particular OS.
    You just don't know how to.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Aug 14, 2004
  7. teh big gazzy¬g

    Ron Martell Guest

    Not for me, or for any of my customers, it doesn't.

    What sort of problems have you been hearing about?

    Ron Martell, Aug 14, 2004
  8. I haven't read for specifics, as none of the issues effect me; I've just
    read stuff like (I paraphrase, but I have seen this number) "[company]
    reports 60% of their machines out of service after SP2 installation".
    There's plenty of stuff in the tech (and mainstream) news on this.
    Google around. Read The Register, Slashdot, etc. I don't know how
    widely you expose yourself (don't go there <g>), but if you don't limit
    your reading to The MS Official Line, you'll see it all over.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 14, 2004
  9. teh big gazzy¬g

    Ron Martell Guest

    I don't, and never have, followed the MS Official Line. I am on the
    side of the end users. But I don't believe that copping out to Linux
    is the ultimate answer to any and all problems with Microsoft
    products.

    Does this mythical [company] have a name?

    There are some reports of "teething problems" with Service Pack 2,
    such as Symantec being late in delivering their updates so as to allow
    the new security features in XP SP2 to communicate with Norton
    Antivirus etc.

    But the XP newsgroups are not filled with serious problem reports
    regarding SP2, and neither is this one.

    Ron Martell, Aug 14, 2004
  10. I'm sure it does, Ron. That's usually required for, you know,
    incorporation, and bank accounts and such. But that's one of the
    specifics I've not read for (see the first five words in my OP).
    It's always the other guy. It's never MS code. It's a wonderful world!
    Probably can't get online. :)

    I didn't enter this threat to tease you or anybody -- just to note
    there's a flip side to SP2. Years ago, when MS mattered to me, I
    remember you as being a very helpful and knowledgeable guy. I'm sure
    you still are. I even understand the blinders -- I used Windows for
    a long time, myself.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 15, 2004
  11. teh big gazzy¬g

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    [...]
    Isn't it nice to be able to choose when to blink? }:O)

    DC, Aug 15, 2004
  12. <blink>

    :)

    And not to have to call for permission to use that new hardware I
    installed in my box, too. Why, it's like...it's like...it's like I own
    my own computer! ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 15, 2004
  13. teh big gazzy¬g

    Pennywise Guest

    |>No such thing as a "corporate" version of Windows XP.

    It's what I use...

    Pennywise, Aug 15, 2004