  1. Lynn McGuire

    M. Murcek Guest

    Norton - the cybernetic equivalent of brain cancer for your computer.

    M. Murcek, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Lynn McGuire

    DKI Guest

    The only thing i want 16bit support for is installers to some of my 32bit
    games i like to play from time to time and i doubt some of the maunfuctures
    will update the installers and some gone bust so some can't be updated

    DKI, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    I have a few questions for you:
    I use List from Vernon Buerg http://www.buerg.com/list.htm . This is still a
    Dos16 utility. He says that he is going to produce a Win32 console version
    but I have yet to see anything from him.

    I also use edit.com to edit Fortran files. We do not use an IDE for this compiler
    (and dont say use IVF - it is a very low featured compiler). No one in
    Microsoft has ported edit.com to a Win32 console version. Use Notepad for
    edit ? Are you kidding ? Notepad doesnt even support the <ctrl> Y key
    combination for deleting a line.

    2. We've loaded drivers from floppy forever, what other solution are you
    I have only SATA drives. The SATA drivers for my motherboard should
    be natively supported by Windows 64. Period ! I should not have to go
    hunt these drivers up for an RTM product. My motherboard was released
    in 2004.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  6. Lynn McGuire

    DKI Guest

    i only hope with longhorn they rewrite the boot process to accomadate other
    devices to load drivers drivers off like flash drives and so on. and also i
    would like to say bye bye to this floppy drive which is no longer used and
    sits arround only for when i need to install or reinstall the OS

    DKI, Jun 8, 2005
  7. Lynn McGuire

    M. Murcek Guest

    Why can't Symantec make their Norton product stand on it's own instead of
    weaving itself totally into the OS? Have you ever had to re-load Windows
    after a failed Norton installation left behind a useless, cannot be
    uninstalled mess?

    M. Murcek, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Sad, considering Norton's history. Many is the time they saved my bacon in
    the old DOS days. And I actually got my start writing books on their Norton
    Desktop for Windows. But these days? Thanks, but I'll pass.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  9. Lynn McGuire

    DKI Guest

    lol. Well i don't need need to find many new games most of them are and i do
    keep a collection also do buy alot of new games, but some of the older games
    i think are better in story line than the newer games and graphics still
    decient for what they are and do like to play them still from time to time.

    All the games are 32bit and i also found a way to work arround it but takes
    ages to do and thats enoying

    DKI, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Lynn McGuire

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes. Main reason, besides it doesn't work, that I don't use Norton. Same
    for McAfee. Spend a day trying to edit the registry and stop using the
    products.

    John Barnes, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Lynn McGuire

    John Barnes Guest

    I know someone with a 286 her husband had when he died. Maybe you could
    have that. Think I'd find some new games.

    John Barnes, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  13. You must can get a 5 year old computer from some auction or give away load
    it up with 98 or 95 and you are good to go.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  14. Lynn McGuire

    DKI Guest

    (copeid and pasted from other reply) "All the games are 32bit and i also
    found a way to work arround it but takes ages to do and thats enoying" but
    they work fine once done but i need a way of keeping them for if i have any
    issues.

    I did have an old PC in here but i needed some space in my room so i sold it
    and realy apart from the small time and effort why get a new system to go
    when taken ages the 32bit games with 16bit installers are good to go on
    here? but the 16bit support would be nice till the manufuctures update there
    installers (that would be nice also it that shows how lazy i would like to
    be and how quickly i like to get things done).

    DKI, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Lynn McGuire

    Guest Guest

    I avoided floppy drives also for a couple of years, then got into using raid
    and had to go back. recently a notebook i purchase had a usb floppy drive
    come with it, and this sucker does the trick. I couldn't recommend a better
    way to go. one floppy drive for all your computers, and only there when you
    need it. its back to no floppy drives again!

    Guest, Jun 8, 2005
  16. Yes, if your mobo and bios support it, this is the way to go. I've got one,
    but I also have at least one machine that doesn't get the drivers loaded in
    time, so I have to have a physical floppy in it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2005
  17. we all hope that.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2005
  18. Ah, list. Now there's a blast from the past. I wouldn't hold my breath,
    though. Time to look for something else. For just paging through a file
    quickly, try less. ("less" is "more")

    For an ASCII editor? the list is myriad. Including my personal favourite,
    gvim. But lots and lots and lots of others. All better than Notepad,
    certainly. Or, frankly, Edit.

    SATA drivers? Yes, if your SATA controller isn't _also_ a RAID controller. If
    it is, you need your mfg to have had drivers ready (and of sufficient
    quality) to be included in the OS. Most weren't, and thus aren't. So you have
    to go deal with F6.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2005
  19. Lynn McGuire

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "FAR Manager" is all you need!
    (I'm not joking!)

    Download (stable) "FAR 1.70 beta 5" here (scroll to the end of the page)
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

    Latest alpha "FAR Manager 1.70 alpha 6 build 1999" (TEST ONLY!!!) at:
    http://farmanager.com/updates.php?l=en (updated 2005-JUN-06)

    BTW, the real strength of FAR are plugins (like FTP for example)
    You can find latest plugin updates at the above link...

    Cheers, Roman

    P.S. The reason why I need 16-bit support in x64 is superb textmode
    editor called Boxer: http://www.boxersoftware.com/pghist.htm
    There is windows version but I really do not like graphics mode so I still
    use 16-bit version (every day). Do you know if there is a good 32-bit
    or 64-bit ;) *textmode* ASCII editor (with syntax highligthing of course)
    that may replace my precious DOS Boxer editor in x64?

    roman modic, Jun 9, 2005
  20. [snip]
    I don't know if this will help you or not but take a look at this...

    http://www.semware.com/html/products.php

    Regards,

    Steve

    Steve Thompson, Jun 9, 2005