Windows XP Pro 64 report

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Lynn McGuire, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    I am now running Windows XP Pro 64 on my new dual AMD Opteron pc.
    Some items that I have noted are:

    1. The dual Opteron 250s are very fast and too dadgum noisy - when they
    get hot the cpu fans speed up to 5,000 rpm
    2. Hyperthreading sucks, dual cpus are cool ! The new dual core cpus
    may be just as good as dual cpus but I couldnt wait any longer.
    3. Having to load the SATA Win64 device drivers at Win XP install
    time with a floppy sucks, come on Microsoft, get with the program
    4. The WD 74 GB 10,000 rpm Raptor is very, very fast - I like !
    5. Ummm. No Norton Antivirus for Win XP 64 yet. Am running Avast
    for the moment but I feel naked.
    6. No Win16, Dos16 or Dos32 support. This sucks. I dont know why
    MS cant port the WOW16 driver also.
    7. My DiskID32 program http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html
    only works if you have administrator access. I guess I have to find a
    new back door into the IDE / SATA disk driver.
    8. All my Win32 software is working OK so far.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2005

  3. Lynn McGuire

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Have you ever heard the sound of a crashed dual-CPU G5???
    Like an idling 747 :) So those fans @ 5k are wussy-stuff ;-)

    Thanks for your report.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Lynn McGuire

    Piers James Guest

    You only need F6 for SATA if you're using RAID or an older chipset. You
    don't say which mobo you have, but I didn't need to F6 with MSI nForce4
    based board.

    Piers James, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    You only need F6 for SATA if you're using RAID or an older chipset. You don't say which mobo you have, but I didn't need to F6
    Tyan S2875ANRF - http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8w.html
    The only dual opteron motherboard that I could find that fits in a regular
    ATX case. I guess that it requires a SATA driver disk because the SATA
    is supported by the RAID system. Still sucks !

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    There is Symantec AntiVirus 10 for x64 if you want to stay with tradition and pay more.

    Nope. I'll wait for Norton Antivirus 2005 for Win64.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 8, 2005
  7. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Have you ever heard the sound of a crashed dual-CPU G5???
    crashed ???

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  9. Lynn McGuire got up from the bar and shouted: :
    I reported this a few times during the beta, but MS did not bother with
    it. Considering the amount of people that come across this problem, i'm
    suprised it got pushed out all the way to ShortHorn (AKA Longhorn with
    all the clever stuff removed).

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Lynn McGuire

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Software-crash obviously :) I think they get overheated so fiercly,
    the fans flip to full blast. I have never heard this on a PC, so was
    quite surprised the first time it happened (but I am far away from
    those beasts now).

    jud (very OT)

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Lynn McGuire

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I'm actually shocked that you would even want Norton. You get a great
    computer with dual opteron cpus, Windows x64, and then you want Norton.? I
    don't get it.

    I swore by Norton until a few years ago when a virus infected my PC even
    though I had the most up to date virus pattern. I switched to Trend Micro
    and it has saved all of our PCs more times that I can remember.

    Try it, you'll never want Norton again!

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Lynn McGuire

    John Barnes Guest

    But no planned x64 support at this time. I have it and like it for XP.

    John Barnes, Jun 8, 2005
  13. I have a few questions for you:

    1. Why would you want 16bit code in a 64bit OS?
    2. We've loaded drivers from floppy forever, what other solution are you
    thinking of? If you're referring to USB thumbdrives and such, if your BIOS
    supports them as a boot device, so do we.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jun 8, 2005
  14. Unfortunately, Trend doesn't yet support x64, and it looks like EOY at the
    earliest. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  15. USB floppy drives will sometimes work. USB key/thumb/whatever will not work
    as an F6 device. It's a PITA at this point, since many, many people are now
    ordering machines without floppy drives. And very definitely servers without
    one. OTOH, I recognize that changing this bit of code wasn't in the resource
    planning for this version. I just think that was a mistake. (Actually, I
    thought it was a mistake in Server 2k3 time frame.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  16. Lynn McGuire

    M. Murcek Guest

    You still want to run DOS? David Cutler will come and strangle you in your
    sleep...

    M. Murcek, Jun 8, 2005
  17. No, I do NOT want to run DOS. My last DOS program is long gone.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  18. Lynn McGuire

    Keith Guest

    I have not had floppy drives in my rigs in years....hate them....

    Keith Schaefer

    Keith, Jun 8, 2005
  19. Same here. But I went ahead and bought one when I ended up needing it for
    Server 2k3 (actually, SBS 2k3) and my RAID controller. Now it sits outside on
    the bench with cable already attached, and if I need one on a new box, I just
    open up the box, plug it in to the mobo and power, and do the initial boot.
    Stupid, but it works.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  20. I've only ever sworn *at* Norton. <g>

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jun 8, 2005