Windows XP media Center to Windows Ultimate 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hello everyone.

    My question comes due to my confussion. I have a system that is 64-bit
    ready and want to upgrade a 64-bit version of Vista.

    The product discriptions for Ultimate say on one page "you must have a
    64-bit system running a 64-bit OS". Howerver,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx
    states that you only need a capable system, this is also repeated at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us states also that I can go from
    32 to 64-bit, but I must do a clean install by selecting "custom" on the
    upgrade disk.

    Please help my confussion before I go out and spend the money for the
    ultimate.

    Thank you.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2007

  2. Guest

    PvdG42 Guest

    Both references are correct. You can legally use an Ultimate upgrade to go
    from your 32 bit Media Center XP to 64 bit Ultimate, but the special
    procedure described, where you boot from the Ultimate 64 bit media, choose
    Custom, etc. must be followed because *technically* upgrading from and 32
    bit Windows to 64 bit is impossible. You must start fresh.

    You've probably already thought of this, but before "upgrading", you should
    make sure that *signed* 64 bit Vista drivers are available for all your
    hardware.

    PvdG42, Jun 24, 2007

  3. Yes, it's a bit confusing, even though correct. Your MCE qualifies you for
    an "upgrade" version of Vista Ultimate. BUT, there is no way to do an actual
    upgrade - you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, it has to be a completely
    fresh, clean install. As in formatting the partition on which Vista 64-bit
    will be installed. So yes, you can buy an upgrade to Ultimate. Which
    includes both 64-bit and 32-bit DVDs in the retail package. But if you want
    to install 64-bit Vista Ultimate, you'll need to follow the instructions
    carefully because only a clean install is possible.

    Finally, as PvdG42 correctly warns - make _sure_ you have all the drivers
    you'll need first.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you Gentlemen for your help in clearing up my hesitation. I ordered
    the ultimate this day. I was pretty sure about it, but really wanted to talk
    with those that know the truth. Thanks again.

    Guest, Jun 25, 2007