    user account the computer is very sluggish! Why, even if the system admin
    user account is logged out?
    Any help appreciated - I'll even laugh generously at smart-arse answers...

    jeg, Jun 29, 2004

  2. jeg

    °Mike° Guest

    He's probably downloaded all sorts of spyware/hijackers/
    malware/viruses ... you name it.

    Start here:

    Then run AT LEAST two antivirus scanners:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **** below.]
    http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
    http://www.virusoffice.com/clinic/index.cfm

    **** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Lastly, download, update and use *all* of the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2004

  3. jeg

    jeg Guest

    No, he's only six! He uses the computer for a few games, educational titles
    etc, he just has a habit of dragging icons around and stuff. One time he
    managed to put My Docs, My Comp. etc into the recycle bin. He hasn't done
    any damage yet, but if I can get him using he's own account I thought it
    would be safer.
    Anyway, it happened as soon as I changed the account to limited use. I tried
    changing it back to system administrator and the performane is immediately
    restored! Are there some other settings I can adjust that I am not aware of?
    ______
    Jeg

    jeg, Jun 29, 2004
  4. jeg

    °Mike° Guest

    Only six? Then supervise him ... simple.

    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  5. jeg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You might try setting up a second "limited user" account, and see if that
    runs slow too.

    If a new limited user account runs slow even before adding applications,
    then there definately is a problem somewhere...

    If it doesn't, set up his games and stuff ONE AT A TIME and test. At some
    point, one may slow it down. If so, uninstall it. Hopefully it's only one
    program...and hopefully when you uninstall it the computer returns to
    normal. If not, start over "one mo' time!", skipping the program that caused
    the problem.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2004