Windows XP Home and IPCONFIG Error

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by suniacke, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. suniacke

    suniacke

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    After downloading 63 critical Updates from Microsoft for my sisters 2 year toshiba laptop, I couldn't start windows other then in safe mode. After working with MS tech support for an hour, we went into regedit and changed 22 values from 1 to 4 for the startup funtion.

    Days later, I couldn't access the internet. Tried IPCONFIG, got this error:
    Windows IP Configuration
    An Internal Error occurred: The request is not supported
    Please contact Microsoft Product Support
    Additinoal Info: unable to query host name.

    So called MS tech support 90 minutes later nothing, we managed to bring back the blue screen of death, and fix it. The reason I bring this up is upon trying to fix the booting problem again, I noticed 2 out the 22 system registry startups were reset back to 1 from the value 4 (whiched we fixed the or changed to 4 the first time round). Upon changing these back to 4, it booted normally, still no internet access. The 2 settings that got reset back to 1 were IPSEC and TCPIP. Naturally, this is where I believe the problem to be, but don't know and can't fix it. MS Tech had to push this to there 2nd level support who have not called me back.

    We uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC and TCPIP, and all show and say they are working fine.

    Any help is appreciated.

    thanks
    sean

    suniacke, Apr 2, 2007