Windows XP hangs going into Standby

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul B, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Paul B

    Paul B Guest

    Hi,

    Everything was working perfectly on a new install until about the
    time of updating the drivers for nVidia's nForce 2 integrated
    motherboard functions - network controller, sound, etc.

    Everything works great now, too, except that the system
    invariably hangs on a blue "preparing to go into Stand by..."
    screen. The mouse pointer moves around, but nothing else works.
    Physically turning the machine off is the only way out. I assume
    that some process is not willing to give up its active state.

    I tried the F8 on boot/"use last working version" option, but
    that didn't work. The one pathetic Restore Point the system
    offered did me no good. Then I rolled
    back/uninstalled/reinstalled the nVidia drivers, but that didn't
    work either. I selected the spare boot mode in MSCONFIG; no
    good.

    My only other thought is to find if there is some log I could
    access that would tell me what the conflict is. But I've been
    told there is no such log. I found some logs at Ad Tools/Comp.
    Management, but don't know if anything can be done with them.

    Any insight would be appreciated. One would hope for some clever
    indigenous way of diagnosing problems like this.

    p.

    Paul B, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Paul B

    meerkat Guest

    you`ve got an Event Viewer you could have a look at.

    An idea I`ve had, but never had reason to try is...
    Pull a copy of Dr Watson (system32 folder) into your
    startup folder.
    When you have restarted Dr Watson should run, and
    will create a log file.

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Paul B

    Paul B Guest

    Ok, I've done the DW thing. We'll see what it says.

    Thanks,
    p.

    Paul B, Mar 21, 2007