Windows XP Continuous Reboot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    A telephone call from a friend this morning with problems
    with her Dell running XP (doesn't know whether it is Home or
    Pro). She was installing a new printer and the "install went
    wrong and the thing just kept rebooting after starting
    Windows". She called the helpline and they got her to start
    in safe mode and restore to a previous point - so now it
    reboots as it goes into safe mode too. Their next suggestion
    was a complete clean install... so she called me.

    Any thoughts on how to proceed? The first thing I will do is
    to boot from a CD or floppy and take an image of the drive -
    so that I can always get to where I started. That will then
    allow me to try pretty much anything without worrying about
    making things worse.

    If I can't get it to start in safe mode, I was thinking of
    partitioning the drive and moving what is on there up to
    make room for a new primary partition and clean installing
    XP "whatever" there, patching it with the MSoft security Cd
    before connecting it to broadband, which she has, and
    pulling all the other patches, etc over. The re-installing
    Office, etc.

    Any thoughts on alternatives to try before going for this
    would be much appreciated - otherwise it looks like my
    sunny(rare!) afternoon is going to be indoors..

    Guest, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Guest

    Saba Guest

    "Palindr?me" <> schreef in bericht
    | Hi,
    |
    | A telephone call from a friend this morning with problems
    | with her Dell running XP (doesn't know whether it is Home or
    | Pro). She was installing a new printer and the "install went
    | wrong and the thing just kept rebooting after starting
    | Windows". She called the helpline and they got her to start
    | in safe mode and restore to a previous point - so now it
    | reboots as it goes into safe mode too. Their next suggestion
    | was a complete clean install... so she called me.
    |
    | Any thoughts on how to proceed? The first thing I will do is
    | to boot from a CD or floppy and take an image of the drive -
    | so that I can always get to where I started. That will then
    | allow me to try pretty much anything without worrying about
    | making things worse.
    |
    | If I can't get it to start in safe mode, I was thinking of
    | partitioning the drive and moving what is on there up to
    | make room for a new primary partition and clean installing
    | XP "whatever" there, patching it with the MSoft security Cd
    | before connecting it to broadband, which she has, and
    | pulling all the other patches, etc over. The re-installing
    | Office, etc.
    |
    | Any thoughts on alternatives to try before going for this
    | would be much appreciated - otherwise it looks like my
    | sunny(rare!) afternoon is going to be indoors..

    hook the Dell hard disk into your computer and copy the documents,
    favourites, e-mail settings to your hard disk.
    Make a D partition on the Dell disk and copy all the restored information
    back to the D partition.
    Format the Dell drive and reinstall windows XP on the C partition after
    putting the disk back into the pc of your friend ..

    Saba, Jan 12, 2005