    Windows xp Pro C:\Program Files\Game company\Game
    Windows 64 Pro D:\Program Files\Game company\Game

    I am trying to keep my system from wasting space.

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    From what little I know about games (Mah Jongg was the last video game i
    played, and it only runs on linux, take that mr. my computer can run
    everything cause it got windows) --

    In Windows 32-bit, 32-bit programs get installed to "C:\Program Files" by
    default. Those same games will be installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)" on
    64-bit windows. NEVER should one program that runs on both computers be in
    a Program Files directory at all, instead when you install the game, click
    BROWSE to select a directory to install to and make it like "C:\MYGAMEDIR"
    instead of "C:\Program Files\MYGAMEDIR" ...

    Next.. Know that your saved games are probably saved somewhere in your
    profile directory -- that is C:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\<some sub
    directory>. Make sure that you know that that directory will be different
    on both operating systems.

    Finally, of course you will have to run the install on both versions of
    Windows and will not be able to just install it once and have it run in both
    places.

    Good Luck In Your Quest.
    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 5, 2005

  3. No.

    In general, there are files required to be installed in the Program Files
    and registry of the running OS in order to play the game. Data files would
    be different, but not the program files. Even if you pick drive D: for the
    installation path during installation on C:, that will allow a lot of game
    data files to be installed on D: but the game will have to have some files
    on C: when you run it. And of course the reverse is also true.

    In practice I quickly learned which system I wanted to be in to play a
    specific game and it turned out to be x64 95% of the time. There is no need
    to install any game twice.

    If you are mostly gaming, wasting space will not be the issue that ripping
    music files and such causes. If you are also doing a lot with music and
    videos, then I suggest you purchase an additional drive if you are running
    out of space. In any dual boot system I recommend a separate drive for
    data.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Well, actually, even on a single boot system I recommend a separate drive
    (or at a minimum a separate partition) for data. Makes it so much easier if
    you ever need to do a drastic recovery. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This is not what I m asking. What I m trying to do is Both windows 64 and xp
    pro run the same game. From the same Location. See I use to do this with
    windows 98 to xp. Play Descent 3 On both computers and it was installed once.

    See The game is 32 bit. So if I m in windows xp pro. I can still play the
    same game or if im in windows 64 xp.

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Guest

    Rick Guest

    There is a difference between what you have done and now.

    In Win x64 there is a new directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\, that your
    32-bit files go into. The directory, C:\Program Files\, is for 64-bit
    programs.

    You did not have this difference with Win 98 & XP because all programs,
    16-bit & 32-bit, used the same directory.

    Rick, Dec 5, 2005
  7. If your primary concern is to just save space, it should be possible to
    install it twice, once for each O/S. And install it to the same location. Be
    warned, though! You may not like the result - some games would suffer if you
    need to save a situation, and registry settings may conflict, but some games
    might have little, or no objections.

    Try it? The worst I can foresee would be that you would have to un-install
    both versions and start all over.

    I believe I tried running Flight Simulator via an Icon pointing to the
    'other' installation for a while, that was cannibalizing off of the other
    installation, I gave it up, though. I think it was the saved situations that
    wasn't available from both versions that became a little confusing.

    It is not intended to be done this way, so you are on your own!

    The only good alternative, would be to run a Virtual Machine.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    a number of programs will run if you go to the x32 exe from the x64 system,
    but most require to be installed on both. Christian said he had most of his
    programs installed this way, so you can try it. I see no reason it won't
    work. You would have to be careful about your directories for the install
    (programs installed into (86) on x64. No one is going to guarantee that any
    program is going to work that way on your computer, so you are going to have
    to try it yourself. If you do, I would install on x64, then x32 pointing to
    the (86) version of program files if the game is 32-bit. If it is 64 bit
    program, it will not work.

    John Barnes, Dec 5, 2005
  9. I don't see your point. You are never going to be in both operating systems
    simultaneously. Just try all your games in x64 (better performance) and the
    ones that don't work to your satisfaction install in x86. Or just install
    them all in x86 and use x64 for demanding production work.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Maybe someone who is working in x86 because the programs don't work in x64,
    want to play games that don't improve in x64. Why have to switch systems,
    or some games could be played while the program is processing. Obviously
    not the latest and greatest, but with a fast machine, lots of games could be
    played satisfactorily while another program is processing, especially if you
    adjust the priorities and don't care how long the other program takes.

    John Barnes, Dec 5, 2005
  11. And everyone pretty much agreed that you would have significant problems
    doing this. Install the game twice. You'll have far fewer problems.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2005