Windows XP - all programs and files bring up various errors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alice, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. alice

    alice Guest

    Every now and then my winXP machine at work will get into this state.
    It will be fine one day, I leave it on over night, and in the morning
    when I come in, everything I click on to try and open, files,
    programs, even task manager, result in one of the following errors-

    Insuffiecient System Resources exist to complete the requested service

    Application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d)

    (null) is not a valid Win32 application

    The only thing I can seem to do is reboot, and this fixes it. It
    happens less often lately and I can't find anything specific to narrow
    down when it happens.
    It's behind a very secure firewall, has regular anti-virus software
    updates and scans, windows is updated all the time, I've scanned the
    drive for errors.
    What would keep causing this and how can I stop it?

    alice, Mar 24, 2010

  2. alice

    richard Guest

    clean the registry and do a system restore back to day one.

    richard, Mar 24, 2010

  3. alice

    alice Guest

    'Clean' the registry? How? It's been happening for more than 1 day so
    a restore would have to go back much farther. On a side note, whenever
    I have needed to try a restore point, on any computer, even when I set
    restore points manually, 99% of the attempt to pick a restore date
    fails, windows reports that it cannot restore to that date. It gives
    no reason why or recommend a date, it just simply fails.

    alice, Mar 24, 2010
  4. alice

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In
    I've never had much luck getting restore to work when booted normally,
    but running restore from safe mode is almost always OK.

    Bert Hyman, Mar 24, 2010
  5. alice

    chuckcar Guest

    You not shutting down the computer. There's a longer explanation, but I
    won't bore you with it unless you specifically ask for it.

    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2010
  6. alice

    richard Guest

    Ok then it is seriously time to call in the real tech people and let them
    straighten it out. It ain't your machine so let the boss flip the bill if
    he wants it working. Or have him get you a newer one that works.

    Absolute solution: Attach 1 stick of dynamite to case with duct tape. Apply
    a 40 pound sledge hammer to the dynamite. Or, take machine to roof and drop
    it onto the ground with dynamite attached.

    richard, Mar 24, 2010
  7. alice

    alice Guest

    It's not that serious of a problem, thought I would try to research it
    myself. I've seen all these errors before, but never seen a PC get
    into a state where nothing will open or function because of these. I
    can't even look at task manager to see what might be going on. I can
    just reboot, but I am interested in knowing what exactly is going
    wrong.

    alice, Mar 24, 2010
  8. alice

    alice Guest

    Yes, please give me the details.

    alice, Mar 24, 2010
  9. alice

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Classic Memory Module fault from overheating

    Peter Foldes, Mar 24, 2010
  10. alice

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Alice. Please do not touch the Registry with any Registry Tool. You are playing
    Russian Roulette with your computer when doing that. If you are not familiar with
    the Registry and you do not know what the tool wants to remove then do not touch it.
    All Registry Cleaning tools are snake oil remedies.
    Even if the program makes back up it is a fool hardy move. If the computer will not
    boot then how do you get to the backups.Cleaning the registry does not make your
    computer faster or save you space. LEAVE IT ALONE

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Mar 24, 2010
  11. alice

    Peter Foldes Guest

    I really want to hear your explanation Chuck. Let her rip.I have the time

    Peter Foldes, Mar 24, 2010
  12. alice

    John Holmes Guest

    Bill Baker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    You forgot to mention Evan Platt.

    John Holmes, Mar 24, 2010
  13. Start digging:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041

    ^_^

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 24, 2010
  14. alice

    chuckcar Guest

    An honest answer that took some thought. Nice to see.

    However if you don't mind, a technical critique as to why it's
    the wrong way to go.

    Way too general and points in the wrong direction in terms of startup.
    Microsoft has always insisted that startup is a feature and not a
    deficit in their OS's. Something the facts simply don't support. More of
    that politics is blatent here.

    Technet *is* useful if you get an error with a *clean* OS, along with
    all Microsoft software being just as pristine. Technet assumes you have
    already made *absolutely* sure that is the case in all their articles.
    Mostly it's bug fixes for problems with their software. This also means
    no startup running and you have an error that happens *only* with
    Microsoft software. That includes all other software of theirs as well.

    Microsoft should make this clear, but then there's that startup party
    fixing elections again <g>.

    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2010
  15. alice

    chuckcar Guest

    Well computer software is largely written in C++ and some other
    languages that don't have checks for dynamic memory allocation (memory
    use for variables that can vary depending on circumstances). So as a
    result, the deallocation or freeing of that memory when it's no longer
    needed can be imperfect. This results in less and less total memory
    available, eventually leading to your problem. There are two basic
    solutions to this problem. They partially depend on finding the
    offending program or simply not having it run for an extended perdiod of
    time. Hence shutting down nightly. The most reliable way of narrowing
    down this relies on you shutting down *all* background (startup)
    programs and seeing if the problem is then fixed. If it isn't, It may be
    time for a full malware/trojan/virus scan of your computer with just
    updated files. The alternative method I already mentioned: having the
    computer turned off when you're not using it. Like a light bulb.
    Computers start up *extremely* fast these days, so worrying about the
    delay for that is really only limited to waiting for all those startup
    programs to finish loading, not the OS.

    start->run "msconfig"<enter> (without " marks naturally)
    disable startup. Apply and yes to restart. Depending on your SP version,
    XP *may* ask to restore those startup lines. That can be simply done by
    undoing what you just did in msconfig and if you accept to do it here,
    the next time the computer starts, all those programs will be running.
    Thereby undoing the whole procedure. A pretty stupid feature in XP IMHO.

    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2010
  16. alice

    Aratzio Guest

    "Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message
    that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy
    engine."

    Got a message you didn't read?

    Aratzio, Mar 24, 2010
  17. alice

    Aratzio Guest

    And *moran* #2 lowers the global IQ.

    Aratzio, Mar 24, 2010
  18. alice

    Aratzio Guest

    One could say that is the solution to you, Stupid.

    Aratzio, Mar 24, 2010
  19. alice

    Aratzio Guest

    Bad idea.