Windows won't start

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ftran999, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    I'm having a major problem with my pc in that windows xp sp2 won't start up.
    It all started earlier this evening while browsing the internet things
    seemed sluggish and unresponsive. That is clicking on the back arrow or
    the close x would either take a long time to respond or not all all. I had
    to use the alt-clt-del method. I would keep getting those "error has been
    detected do you want to send to microsoft.........". Then all of a sudden
    it crashed and restarted getting through the bios ok but when windows tried
    to start up I would get this long message saying something about hardware or
    software change, etc. I was giving a number of methods to start up
    including a few safe modes, last known good configuration, and normal.
    No matter which one I chose, it would boot through the bios but not make it
    to windows. The furthest it gets is that the windows logo appears on the
    screen. After that it just crashes back to the bios. Occasionally, but not
    always I would get a message stating: "3rd master hard disk s.m.a.r.t.
    command failed press f1 to resume. pressing f1 just results in the problem
    described above. I than opened up my pc and checked the all the connections
    and to see if everything seemed to be working ok. Just for the sake of it I
    tried switch the sata cable from my hard drive (western digital wd360gd)
    from the sata 1 connector on my motherboard to sata 2. I then restarted and
    this time got a message stating "4th master hard disk s.m.a.r.t.
    command failed." I think its fair to conclude from this that my hard drive
    and bit the dust. I should also point out that just before the crash there
    was a noise coming from my pc which, for lack of a better description,
    sounded like what could be described a the sound of running water that you
    would here when someone else is taking a shower or washing dishes a distance
    away. I just bought the HD about 5 or 6 months ago so it should still be
    under warranty.
    Like I said, I'm pretty sure my HD has failed. I just want to know if there
    are any other things I should check before contacting Western Digital for an
    RMA.
    Thanks in advance for your help

    ftran999, Sep 11, 2004

  2. ftran999

    mAineAc Guest

    try plugging the hard drive into a working computer and see if it works
    that way.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Sep 11, 2004

  3. ftran999

    mark mandel Guest

    Western Digital comes with a diagnostic floppy which you should use to check
    the drive's health with. Use the longer extended test that takes about
    twenty minutes.

    mark mandel, Sep 11, 2004
  4. ftran999

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Only takes about 30 seconds if the drive has failed and is in poor shape.
    I know from experience.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 11, 2004
  5. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    thanks but unfortunately the other computer I have does not have a sata
    connection on the MB.

    ftran999, Sep 11, 2004
  6. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    My HD didn't come with the diag disk. I guess because it was an oem. I did
    download the diag utility from their website and created a floppy from it.
    Unfortunately it did no good because I rebooted with the disk in and nothing
    happened other than what I described above.

    ftran999, Sep 12, 2004
  7. I've had 2 Western Digital hard drive crashes over the years. Never again
    will I buy one.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 12, 2004