    thoughts on what I should check? I've already done a zero fill and format
    on the hard drives and reinstalled the OS and it's still happening so I
    don't think it is the OS.

    William, Sep 20, 2003

  2. William

    Boomer Guest

    William said:
    Any of these any help?

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308041
    Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    and
    "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    Boomer, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Have you tried updating your bios on your motherboard?

    kljkkkkkkkkkk, Sep 20, 2003
  4. William

    Thorney Guest

    Thanks, Boomer. I rarely visit this group but my XP was failing
    to turn off when asked so I looked in. I didn't even have to post
    my symptoms as your third link solved it promptly and easily.
    I must admit I'm aghast at the number of things in my
    startup set (in msconfig); I guess I'll have to try turning some
    off to find out what they do. Or is there a guide somewhere that
    helps identify these? (Well, I'll try googling a few of the more
    mysterious ones.)

    Thorney, Sep 20, 2003
  5. William

    trout Guest

    *One* good resource is:

    trout, Sep 21, 2003
  6. William

    Boomer Guest

    Thorney said:
    You're welcome.
    Looks like trout gave you an excellent link to start with. :)

    Boomer, Sep 21, 2003
  7. William

    William Guest

    Updated bios today so we'll see if it helps. Thanks to Boomer also for the
    other links as well.

    William, Sep 21, 2003
  8. William

    Boomer Guest