Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) / WCN-UFD and [email protected] WinXP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Thomas Creutz, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Hello List!

    I searched a way, to deploy my WLAN settings for XP Clients. After
    search this Group i found this thread who defines how we can do a auto
    setup the Wireless Settings:

    Now i try to setup with the wizard the WPA-Radius, but it has no option
    for it. After searching the web, i found the spec for the Wsetting.wfc file:

    For XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Rally/WCN-UFD_XPspec.mspx

    For Vista:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4800-8a0a-b18336565f5b/WCN-UFD_Vistaspec.doc

    Now i followed the Definitions and build the follow file:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <wirelessProfile
    xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004
    WSETTING.xsd">
    <config>
    <configId>0007089E-3226-48AD-B771-12B3E8537686</configId>
    <configAuthorId>0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C</configAuthorId>
    <configAuthor>Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard</configAuthor>
    </config>
    <ssid>RSR</ssid>
    <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
    <deviceMode>infrastructure</deviceMode>
    <primaryProfile>
    <authentication>WPA</authentication>
    <encryption>TKIP</encryption>
    <networkKey>00000000000000</networkKey>
    <keyProvidedAutomatically>1</keyProvidedAutomatically>
    <ieee802Dot1xEnabled>1</ieee802Dot1xEnabled>
    <eapMethod>PEAP-EAP-TLS</eapMethod>
    </primaryProfile>
    </wirelessProfile>

    But the problem is, that XP+SP2 don't read/interpret the file correctly.
    I get only the Error Message:

    Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des Netzwerks
    erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar. Führen
    Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus.

    (Sorry - thats the Original German Error Message - I try to translate)

    No Information found, for Setup the Network btw. the information are not
    useful. ......

    In the Documentation is the XML Schema for this file. I validated this
    file against the schema and found no error.

    My next try was with the same usb stick and the same files on a Vista
    Notebook. Result: All ok: The files created my Wireless Network
    Connection (But some tasks are left: Cert, and some check boxes - @ MS:
    this stuff should also integrated!!)

    My Result: There is no way, to make a silent Wireless Setup with RADUIS
    for Users with don't have any know how!

    Thomas Creutz

    Thomas Creutz, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Hi
    To you have a central server run RADIUS?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 16, 2008

  3. yes. i have a ms ias server with ad who runnng radius.

    But the problem is, that some users have a own notebook from home and
    will connect to the network.

    But some user dont have knowlege about windows and cant run setup this
    stuff.

    So i search a way, to make a Setup for it, that the user can set up the
    radius connection over exe/script/some other tool.

    But i cant find any solution for it!

    Thomas Creutz

    Thomas Creutz, Feb 16, 2008