Windows Vista wireless problems...please help.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ConDumbNation, Apr 11, 2010.

  1. Greetings,

    I have a strange problem with my Vista laptop.
    I can't access any web pages despite the fact that it appears that I
    have a successful wireless connection. An IP address has been issued
    etc...everything looks normal.
    I've tried 4 different browsers and a Magic Jack phone, and none of
    them can access the web.
    I finally tried to completely reinstall Firefox, and to my shock, that
    worked. Now, * only * Firefox can access the web. However, when some
    other program activates Firefox, it will not work. For example, I
    tried to install a new program on the computer (long after these
    problems began), and part of the installation process is for it to
    connect to a server for activation and updates etc. The program opens
    Firefox, and then will not connect. However, if * I * open Firefox it
    connects just fine. I tried to hard wire the connection (no wireless)
    and got the same result.
    I believe the problems began when I tried to remove a trial version of
    Norton 360. I did so using the add/remove programs options. At that
    time, I also used msconfig to deactivate several startup processes and
    services. Since then, I have reactivated everything I had shut off,
    and I tried System Restore several times all to no avail.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might have
    happened, and what is still wrong ?
    Windows Vista has automated so many processes that I no longer
    understand what is going on behind the scenes. So when something goes
    wrong, I don't even know where to begin searching for solutions.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

    ConDumbNation, Apr 11, 2010

  2. Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 11, 2010

  3. Hi Jack.

    Thanks very much for your input.
    The only firewall running was the Windows one, and when I turned that
    one off, it made no difference.
    I also tried selecting all of the startup processes and services; and
    then de-selecting them... and nothing changed.
    Still, only firefox works, and all the other browsers do not.
    Oh well, back to the drawing board...

    ConDumbNation, Apr 12, 2010
  4. ConDumbNation

    Phil Rhodes Guest

    I think you are on the right track by mentioning Norton. Try using the
    "Norton Removal Tool".
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    Phil Rhodes, Apr 13, 2010
  5. Hi Phil,

    Yeah, I too think Norton is the root of the problems, but I couldn't
    get the removal tool to work properly.
    For starters, I couldn't access the Norton server with my Firefox only
    browser, so I got the tool using another computer and transferred it
    over via flash drive. Then, the tool kept running into
    roadblocks...saying things like "can't find folder" etc.
    The trouble might be that this was just a trial version of Norton, and
    I probably deleted about 99% of it leaving just enough remnants buried
    in the registry to wreak the current havoc.
    I've pretty much ruled out the firewall as the problem since when I
    completely turn it off there is no change in the situation.
    Maybe I'm wrong about that...I don't know.
    The weirdest thing to me is that System Restore didn't rectify the
    problem, even though I'm certain things were running smoothly a month
    ago. There's also the fact that the situation doesn't change at all
    when I switch from wireless to hard-wired. It really feels like there
    are enough clues here to really pinpoint the cause, but I just don't
    know how to put them all together. I hope I don't have to wipe the
    drive, but I guess I better prep for just that.
    Thanks for your input.

    ConDumbNation, Apr 14, 2010
  6. ConDumbNation

    Phil Rhodes Guest

    I'd defrag it, before wiping (and after a through cleaning/reboot). And,
    though I'm loathe to admit it, I've taken computer in to repair shops to get
    ideas on how to fix it. My local shop will plug a different keyboard/mouse
    in and find solutions I couldn't find with my own - but that doesn't mean I
    let them fix it :) but it you have to leave it with them....

    Phil Rhodes, Apr 14, 2010
  7. Well, by "wipe", I just mean reinstall Vista (or maybe Windows 7, or
    even XP), so an outside technician won't be necessary. I wasn't
    really worried about the possibilities of some sort of virus causing
    all of this (though maybe I should) and I'm not too worried about
    faulty hardware. There's nothing really vital on the computer... it
    would just be a time consuming pain to set things up the way I like.
    So it wouldn't be the end of the world to "wipe" it, but I'd really
    rather find this solution. I think I'll start poking around at some of
    the other web forums out there.
    Thanks again for your input.

    ConDumbNation, Apr 15, 2010