Windows Vista vs Windows Live Messenger

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.

    So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
    overnight.

    This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
    needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
    waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.

    The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.

    So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
    Windows Vista system unable to start.

    Funny if it weren't so pathetic.

    Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
    booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
    disk.

    If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d into
    software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able to do
    anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

    steve, Mar 22, 2007

  2. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    What about Live Mail?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 23, 2007

  3. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    So you were about to format your laptop because an Instant Messenger
    application wouldn't work?

    Format away! The Windows world is better with fewer morons.

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2007
  4. steve

    Robert Cooze Guest

    I would take it up with where you bought it from. Something along the
    lings of not usable for the job it was going to be used for. Any way the
    software bought (vista) does not work with the Windows Live Messenger,
    Something sold to you as would work. Does not buying stuff mean you get
    support, That the Suppler and or the Manufacturer get to support you!
    You could get Very Nasty and start to demand stuff.

    Robert Cooze, Mar 23, 2007
  5. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Or alternatively, you could get a life...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2007
  6. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    If you learnt to use Google before ranting here, you'd find that the
    problem isn't with Live Messenger but rather with Flash Player.

    The workaround at the mo is:

    1. Uninstall Flash Player (Click Start->Control Panel->Uninstall a
    Program, then select Flash Player)

    2. Close Windows Live Messenger and any other programs that use Flash

    3. Open Adobe public Flash Player beta site
    (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html)

    4. Click "Download Installer for Windows Active X" to install

    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2007
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    ....and replace it with WinXP.

    Speaking of morons....You're doing a fine job.

    steve, Mar 24, 2007
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    My experience with Microsoft software in the past is that the usual consumer
    rules do not apply.

    They don't give a rat's arse and you'refree to return their products and not
    use Windows.........which doesn't fix the problem , either and creates more
    new ones.

    That's one of the reasons I've been mainly a Linux user. There was always
    another distro to try if the one you had didn't do what you wanted. With
    Windows, you most often don't have that choice...and they don't respond to
    individual users in a useful and effective way as open source developers
    often do.

    steve, Mar 24, 2007
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    You're an idiot no matter what the topic...this much is now very clear. I'd
    be interested to see the file your psychiatrist keeps on you one day.

    steve, Mar 24, 2007
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    I came here to see if anyone knew of the problem and a solution.

    I'll see if your proposed solution has anything to do with LM crashing when
    logging in.

    Not sure why you feel the need to abuse everyone you respond to. What does
    your psychiatrist say about that?

    steve, Mar 24, 2007
  11. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    I don't abuse everyone I talk to, just the idiots who can't work out
    how to use Google before bothering people here.

    It's not hard you know.

    Every n00b "intro to Usenet" FAQ that exists starts by saying "try to
    find the answer yourself".

    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  12. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Oh the hurt of it all. What a fantastic comeback!

    If only it wasn't you being a moron for all to see, I'd almost take it
    as an insult.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  13. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Sorry, but someone saying that you should go back to the place you
    bought a machine and the manufacturer and get "Very Nasty" and start
    "demanding stuff" because a free Instant Messaging client has a
    problem (with a known and easily found solution) is just frigging
    pathetic.
    Wow, you're funny, too!

    A moron who's also funny. Well, in his own mind anyway.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  14. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Hello?!? It's free Instant Messaging software that is playing up.
    LOL!!!!

    Sorry, Steve, but that is just laughable.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  15. steve

    steve Guest

    You've never worked out that you view of me is worthless....while you are
    clearly a moron to any casual observer.

    You blindness to that is very much in line with your blindness to most
    things.

    steve, Mar 25, 2007
  16. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Indeed, I do view you as worthless...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 25, 2007
  17. steve

    steve Guest

    Fred

    I've looked into this now.

    I had the lastest Flash installed and the latest Windows Live Messenger
    installed......and WLM still crashed.

    I'll remove both and try WLM without any flash installed - just to see if it
    works. But Falsh is essential for YouTube and DailyMotion and pretty much
    every other video site out there, so if push comes to shove, Windows Live
    Messenger will have to remain well away from my laptop.

    Which is annoying.....but do-able.

    steve, Mar 25, 2007
  18. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Steve,

    Have you tried Trillian (www.ceruleanstudios.com)? It's good.

    Only catch is the free version doesn't do video, if that's a
    requirement.

    Definately works on Vista - have it running myself.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 26, 2007