Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006

  2. No, being in the same box does not imply anything. You would have two
    different setup.exe files written specifically for the respective editions.

    At present Vista Beta 2 is delivered as two separate image files. One is
    x86 and one is x64. Each barely fits on its own dvd once burned to disk.
    However, the sku's are all available on the respective dvd's and my
    understanding is that only the product code entered will decide which sku
    gets installed. In that scenario, you would install the retail edition with
    the product code on the box (for Vista Basic) and then buy a product code
    for the edition you want to move up to online from Microsoft. I hope that
    is not how MS winds up handling it.

    I am underwhelmed by the concept.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Colin, on my XP Pro Upgrade box, it says "UPGRADE For users of Microsoft
    Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millenium Edition, Windows NT
    Workstation 4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional". An impartial upgrade I would
    say, but I have Windows 95 OEM CD from my Zenith GT Workstation, would that
    mean, I could install it and use the media as a qualifying product for
    verification? Its no big deal since I have 98, 98 SE and other versions of
    Windows that fully qualify, I just would like to know if they are gonna
    qualify like NT although 2000 saide NT 3.51 and up would qualify, that two
    previous versions. Which would mean, they are probably gonna drop NT 4 as
    qualifying product, and only support 2000 and XP.

    On the Full version xp box, it says Windows 95 and later.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2006
  4. [AOL]me too[/AOL]

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Exactly right. Even though you would get a message from the 95 desktop that
    upgrade is not an option, if you boot with the XP Upgrade cd the upgrade
    installer will accept a Win95 OEM cd as a product qualifying for upgrade.
    You would be doing a clean installation, of course. All of the system files
    the intaller checks have the same names in Win95 and Win98/ME and so it
    works.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  7. Some clarification: MS didn't mind folks moving up from Win95 to XP. In
    fact they hoped all the Win95 users would. But Win95 had passed out of its
    active support lifecycle two years before XP released so MS did not
    thoroughly test the upgrade and without the testing MS PSS could not give
    support to upgraders. Hence the message when trying to do such an upgrade
    from the Win95 desktop. Obviously, the presentation of proof of ownership
    of a qualifying cd is a far simpler matter because a clean installation is
    underway anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  8. As to the message "Windows 95 and later," it is true. It does not say what
    kind of installation you can do, but you do not have to pay for the full
    edition to move up from Win95 to XP (provided you have a Win95 cd and not
    just retore cd's).

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  9. And a final thought: I once had a computer that came with Win95
    preinstalled and all I had were restore cd's. Over time I had beefed up the
    hardware. When XP came out I decided to try upgrading and thought I was
    stuck because I lacked a Win95 cd. The workaround was to grab a Win98 cd I
    had for another computer and upgrade Win95 to 98. Then I could proceed with
    my XP upgrade without having to reinstall my software. There is always a
    way. Likely some Win98/ME users will have to something like that (first
    upgrade to XP or W2k SP4) because Win98/ME ends its active support lifecyle
    next month, at least six months before Vista's release. Not that I
    recommend such a convoluted proceedure, but it should be technically
    feasible.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006