    less desireable for those who want to hook up their current equipent to
    their new Vista equipped computer. Why should they write 64-bit drivers for
    Vista when they haven't for the current XP 64.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Oh, I've thought about it. And goodness knows it's way too early for final
    pricing decisions to be made - those traditionally wait until the very end
    of a beta cycle. But you've always been able to use an OEM version as the
    underlying version to get upgrade pricing and I don't expect that to change
    this time around. For Vista 32bit, it will be a simple insert the DVD and
    upgrade, but I don't expect it to be that simple for x64, because of the
    driver issue.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Well said, but I think the effort that would be necessary to build an
    'upgrade path' for x64 considering the very small installed base is an
    important consideration also.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Vista is all about new hardware. And I'm sure there will continue to be
    users who run x86 because they can manage to get their old scanner to work
    in it, or whatever. Fine, they shouldn't be running x64 anyway.
    Because the install base will be substantially larger, and because they
    can't get the logo without it. And the smart consumer is going to make
    buying decisions based on that logo. I know I will.

    I am not saying that there won't be any driver issues. Good grief, there are
    driver issues in 32-bit STILL. But I am saying that they will be less for
    new equipment than they are today. And that for most IHVs, once they
    actually make the conversion to doing 64bit drivers, it's relatively less
    effort to update older drivers. And the payback for making existing
    customers happy is non-trivial.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  5. I'm sure it enters into the equation. And they have made important strides
    with the FSTW so that will help.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Good to hear. I am sure most on this site, like myself, do a clean install
    (with an upgrade version, if available) and FSTW is a useful tool.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  7. Yes, I'm sure that's true. It's pretty much what I've always recommended.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  8. Guest

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    John,

    On a slightly different topic, are their any problems or pitfalls with
    installing the Vista Beta 2 as a double boot with Win XP x64?. The x64
    version is already installed and the Vista beta would be on its own hard
    drive.

    Jay

    jabloomf1230, Jun 6, 2006
  9. None. Running that way here on two different machines.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  10. It may work as it does with XP and Win95 where you cannot do an upgrade from
    the 95 desktop but you can still use the 95 cd when the XP Upgrade installer
    asks for proof of ownership of an earlier version of Windows. Of course the
    type of installation would still have to be a clean installation in such a
    case. It is too soon to tell what Vista will allow.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  11. Why? I don't have a problem with that.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  12. 95% of Vista installations will be preinstalled just as 95% of XP
    installations are now. It will not be an issue for "average" users.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2006
  14. But there were also retail editions out there for those products. That is
    not the case with x64. Both Media Center and x64 are interesting in that
    regard.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  15. I don't expect to ever see a retail box for Vista x64 marked "Upgrade"
    edition. Maybe I will, but I have not seen any announcement for it from MS.
    On the other hand, you may find that it will be possible with Vista to do a
    clean installation that does not destroy all previous data on the disk.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  16. All editions of Windows previous to XP had both retail and OEM editions.
    When the Windows Upgrade installer checked for a qualifying previous version
    of Windows it checked for key system files and those could not be
    distinguished by source (OEM or retail).

    Only with XP (Media Center and x64) do you encounter editions of the Windows
    client with no retail availability. (I am discounting XP N, of course.)

    I am just saying, don't assume anything because the situation just hasn't
    come up before. I am not comfortable reassuring prospective x64 users that
    they will be able to do a classic upgrade from XP x64 to Vista x64 untill I
    see the announcement from MS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  17. That's how I have been running Vista x64 beta all along.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  18. Guest

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    Charlie,

    Thanks. I'm always worried about the order of installation, but I'm glad
    to hear to works okay.

    Jay

    jabloomf1230, Jun 7, 2006
  19. Guest

    Graham Guest

    Well ... upgrades are usually less expensive than full versions!
    Typically a bit more than half the price.

    One also has to hope that eventually they'll figure out how to make XP
    x64 to Vista 64 upgrades work properly.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 7, 2006
  20. Guest

    Graham Guest

    Lets say I go to Newegg and buy a copy of XP Pro (x86) and XP Pro x64,
    both OEM. They are the same price ($139.95) but right now Newegg have a
    $5 "instant savings" on x64. Hardly a huge difference.

    Now say I want to upgrade to Vista using the "no x64 upgrades" scenario.
    For x86 I can get it an an upgrade price, but for x64 I can't. I'd say
    that is treating x64 customers considerably worse than x86 customers.
    Many of the x86 customers will have had many more years use out of x86
    as any of us have had from x64 too.

    Incidentally, from what I've read, Vista will have both x86 and x64 in
    the same box. Which would imply that an x64 upgrade will, in fact, be
    available.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 7, 2006