    to do so. Also, when doownloads occur everything downloads into a
    white screen. What to do?

    Thanks

    teak, Oct 25, 2009

  2. teak

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Need more info.

    What is it you're trying to download,
    from where, using what?

    For example, a program, from a server,
    using internet explorer.

    Another example, a video, from bit torrent,
    using uTorrent.

    Maybe the problem is in general: anything,
    from anywhere, using anything.

    A couple of shotgun suggestions: run speed
    tests: http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    run anti-malware programs:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    run optimization program:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    run speed tests and try to download again
    after running malware and optimization programs.
    Was there any improvement? How was it to begin with?
    Maybe it's an internet service provider issue.
    If using internet explorer, default all of the
    settings. Same with the network connection
    (uninstall/reinstall the network device).
    Try another web browser such as Firefox or Opera.
    Do speed tests with another computer on your
    internet connection. Is it what it's supposed
    to be (what you're paying for)?

    Did it ever work right? If so, what has changed
    since then? When was the last time you ran chkdsk
    (check disk) or sfc (system file check)? Is Windows
    updated completely? Firewall settings too strict?
    Maybe you don't know and all of this is confusing.
    Perhaps you should have a professional take care of it.

    Windows boxes that face the internet require
    regular maintenance. I manage a repair facility
    with a half-dozen techs under me. Windows clean
    up jobs are the most common jobs we see. Slow overall
    and slow internet performance, blue screen (stop)
    errors, and no internet connectivity at all are the
    most common complaints.
    The solutions range from running ccleaner and combofix
    on up to operating system reinstalls and hardware
    problems. A tricky one for some to diagnose is a
    slow hard drive. Benchmarking programs will uncover
    that one. Another extremely useful tool is a live CD.
    By that I mean a CD with an entire operating system
    on it that doesn't involve the hard drive or the Windows
    installation at all. We use Puppy Linux although
    Knoppix and Damn Small Linux are probably more popular.
    Any of them will work. Hiren's Boot CD has a live
    version of XP on it now as well. It's another useful
    tool. If you don't have another computer, or one that
    is known good (no malware--hardware, operating system
    and settings in good shape), try booting yours with
    a live CD, redo the speed tests and try downloading
    something. Divide and conquer. Is it the internet
    connection, hardware or software? That's the first
    step unless you have reason to believe it's something
    in particular. Is your reasoning valid or are you
    just guessing? A common mistake is answering the
    first question (internet/hardware/software) with
    guesswork. The process we use starts with a visual
    inspection for things like bad filter capacitors,
    incorrect IDE cables, dead memory batteries, etc.
    Then begin to boot to a live CD. Go into setup
    to get info about the hardware and check CMOS settings.
    Finish booting to the live CD. Check performance
    with the live operating system and backup whatever
    needs to be backed up. If all is well at this step,
    the internet connection and all of the hardware other
    than the hard drive is okay. From here we can boot
    into Windows, access the situation, run utilities or
    reinstall as necessary. See how logical that process
    is? Anyone can do it as it's an objective process
    with no guesswork or interpretation required.
    Dealing with the problems in Windows does require
    experience and interpretation of symptoms. That's
    why recovery with a recovery partition or recovery
    disk or a repair installation are the most commonly
    suggested fixes as there is no experience or
    interpretive skill required. Of course none is
    gained by using those approaches either.

    Good luck and have fun.

    Bill Eitner, Oct 25, 2009

  3. teak

    teak Guest

    All I know is this. When I launch Explorer. Much doesn't download.
    I'll go to Yshoomail. And keep clicking to read teh mail and never
    opens. It says loading than stops. Nothing loads. I had to load this
    site several times before it took tonight. I came to A+ and it took 5
    tries to download it. See what I mean? Everyth else off the internet
    works fine. No viruses either.

    Thanks
    Teak

    teak, Oct 27, 2009
  4. teak

    Bill Eitner Guest

    You're contradicting yourself and not making any real effort.
    Write a quickie paragraph and expect someone to Zen the exact
    solution for you--not gonna happen. Reformat the drive and
    reinstall everything--that's the solution the level of effort
    you're putting out is going to generate.

    Bill Eitner, Oct 27, 2009
  5. teak

    teak Guest

    I'll just get winodws 7. Zen? I guess one would have to eb infront of
    the computer. Thanks anyway.

    teak, Oct 27, 2009
  6. teak

    jeremy Guest