    These are my own friggin' MPEG-1 video files!!!

    WTF is up with this?

    Honestly......Windows is getting harder and harder to use.

    steve, Mar 26, 2007

  2. No not really they have depreciated the number of codec supplied with Vista,
    just identify the codec you need and install it. go to any of the big DVD
    support sites like dvd digest etc and do a little digging and you will find
    your codec

    Collector»NZ, Mar 26, 2007

  3. steve

    Fred Dagg Guest

    The application you used to create them would have installed a codec
    on your system.

    You just need to find which codec it used, and install it.

    Best bet, just install the k-lite codec pack - it has most you need.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 26, 2007
  4. That is what is otherwise known as Digital Restrictions Management.

    If you attempt to play Hi Def video content using WinNTvista without the
    appropriate decryption keys, and without an appropriately restricted video
    card AND monitor you will get a blank screen.

    MSWindowsNTvista is working as Micro$oft has intended.

    Welcome to the reality that is Micro$oft Windows vi$ta.

    Don't say you were not warned in advance. :eek:)

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 26, 2007
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    You mean like u sed to have to do with Linux until they began supplying them
    all?

    Honestly.....after 3 years of using Xandros Desktop, Windows Vista is LESS
    capable than the Linux I have been using.

    I'm about to install a Microsoft Webcam on Vista.....(VX-3000)......wish me
    luck. It's the only reason I've kept Vista on the laptop.......

    steve, Mar 26, 2007
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    It did....on Win98SE 5 years ago.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

    steve, Mar 26, 2007
  7. steve

    kornkob Guest

    This is nothing to do with DRM. He just simply doesnt have an MPEG video
    decoder installed. Like every version of Windows that came before, Vista
    doesnt contain an MPEG video decoder (since this would require Microsoft to
    pay a license fee to the MPEGLA). The exception to this is Vista Ultimate,
    which is a first version of Windows to an include one of these decoders.

    I'm guessing he has been able to play this file on previous machine because
    those machines had MPEG decoders installed on them - usually installed by
    some other app.

    If you need to install one for use on Vista, just install one of the many
    apps that include a decoder (DVD players, video authoring apps, media player
    apps etc), or download a free one from places like:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MPV_Decoder.htm or
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MPV_Decoder.htm

    kornkob, Mar 26, 2007
  8. steve

    kornkob Guest

    That second link was supposed to be
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GPL_MPEG-1_2_DirectShow_Decoder_Filter.htm

    kornkob, Mar 26, 2007
  9. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Classic.

    User goes and upgrades to newest, finds out that needing gruntier specs for
    OS still doesn't work.

    What codec?

    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Dave Taylor, Mar 26, 2007
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    This is nothing to do with DRM. He just simply doesnt have an MPEG video
    Interesting. You're right, of course...as I have always installed other
    video-editing/playing software almost immediately.
    Thanks. I'll have a look.

    steve, Mar 26, 2007
  11. steve

    Richard Guest

    The same issue happens with linux and playing mp3 audio since they cant
    include it without paying a license. I guess MS have just decided that
    mpeg1 is now such a crap old codec that its not worth the cost to
    include it.

    Richard, Mar 26, 2007
  12. Funny that, but the symptoms describe the very thing that Windows Vista
    DRM is supposed to do with Hi-def video on unapproved video cards and
    monitors.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 26, 2007
  13. Crap nothing to do with DRM it's a simple missing codec you dumb arse

    Collector»NZ, Mar 26, 2007
  14. steve

    jasen Guest

    VLC manages to play mpeg contnet for free somehow

    jasen, Mar 27, 2007
  15. steve

    MarkH Guest

    I think you will find that you can run MPlayer or VLC under Vista - give
    WMP the boot and use a more flexible video player.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 23-Nov-06)

    MarkH, Mar 27, 2007
  16. steve

    steve Guest

    VLC comes with the codecs.

    steve, Mar 27, 2007
  17. steve

    kornkob Guest

    Thats only free because they illegally include the MPEG codecs with out
    paying the license fee for the patented algrorithms they use. If you read
    the FAQ on the VLC website, they actually do mention that a licence fee is
    normally paid by distributor of any decoder, but they claim that because VLC
    is in an free open source project that they cant do this - THEY THEN GO ON
    TO SAY THAT THE USER SHOULD PAY A ONE-OFF US$2.50 PAYMENT TO THE MPEGLA. lol

    kornkob, Mar 27, 2007
  18. steve

    Earl Grey Guest

    The Frauenhofer mp3 audio patent only covers encoding
    http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=US5579430
    Decoders don't seem to be affected, the VLC one is more likely for the
    video codec which has a licence fee of $2.50 per unit after the first
    100k units
    The mp3 decoder in vlc is MAD which is in the Debian main distro and
    they are pretty strict on legalities.

    Earl Grey, Mar 27, 2007
  19. steve

    kornkob Guest

    Sorry, I was referring to the video codecs, but it is not $2.50 after the
    first 100k units - it is $2.50 from the very first decoder.

    kornkob, Mar 27, 2007