Windows Update ISN'T updating for me! (Win98)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by usenetdg, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    Last night and just now (roughly 5 PM in the eastern US), I went to
    the Windows update site. Scanned my machine okay, it recommended four
    critical updates and 39 Win98/98SE noncritical updates. Clicked on
    "review and install" on the left, then the "Install Now" button. The
    "Window Update - Web Page Dialog" came up, but then nothing. No
    download progress, and certainly no install progress. I let it sit
    this way for more than 30 minutes. No progress at all.

    The "critical updates" I'm trying to get are:

    1. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    (KB832894)
    2. Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB819696)
    3. 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
    4. Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0)

    Total download size is roughly 8.4 MB. I have a cable internet
    connection.

    Suggestions?

    usenetdg, Mar 5, 2004

  2. usenetdg

    Stu Guest

  3. http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    Under : Problem Downloading/Installing a Software (Non-Driver) item
    See : Download stops or freezes. The Windows Update - Web Page Dialog
    window appears but download never starts

    " Please re-register the following files:
    regsvr32 msscript.ocx
    regsvr32 dispex.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll

    1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
    2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
    3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.

    Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
    1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
    2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
    3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a Windows XP
    computer. For Windows 2000 substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\.
    For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition substitute this:
    C:\WINDOWS\System\ for C:\Windows\system32. "

    MowGreen [MVP]
    *-343-* Never Forgotten

    MowGreen [MVP], Mar 6, 2004
  4. usenetdg

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop10.htm#4

    Plato, Mar 6, 2004
  5. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    No luck. When doing the regsvr32 msscript.ocx command, I got an error
    LoadLibrary(msscript.ocx) failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485

    I didn't try registering the other files.

    The file association was a bit different than you described (no
    "Advanced" tab in Windows 98). Still, I was able to change the "opens
    with" from Notepad, which is what was in there, to wscript.exe.

    But Windows Update still doesn't work for me (as I said, I didn't
    register the four things you mentioned).

    What now?

    Also, another poster in this thread had suggested that I just search
    the microsoft site for the required updates, manually download them,
    and install them. That worked great. Windows Update now says I only
    need one update instead of the other three that I successfully
    installed.

    The one sticky issue is the Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML
    4.0). I try installing it and it gives me some message about how I
    must have DirectX 8.0 or 8.1 installed. But I *do* have DirectX 8.1
    installed! I can't get it to install, and Windows keeps telling me I
    need the update, even though I downloaded the update, tried to install
    it, and failed!

    What now?

    FWIW, I'd earlier (two months ago) installed DirectX 9.0b on my
    machine, but that was not supported by my Intel drivers, it made for
    nasty display problems, and I had to scanreg/restore back to a
    pre-DirectX 9.0 state. But when I run DxDiag, it tells me that I'm
    running 8.1.

    usenetdg, Mar 6, 2004
  6. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    The above looks promising, but my computer is Windows 98. I couldn't
    find similar tips on the excellent site for a Win98 computer.

    See other posts I have in this thread further describing what I've
    tried to do.

    usenetdg, Mar 6, 2004
  7. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    Okay, a further update.

    I didn't have msscript.ocx on my computer. Found it on the web and
    put it in my system folder. Registered the four files you'd
    mentioned.

    Checked the location of wscript.exe. On my computer, it was in the
    c:\windows folder, not c:\windows\system. Changed the file
    association for .js so the pathname for wscript.exe was correct.

    Tried to run Windows update... same problem.

    Restarted the computer... Windows update... same problem.

    What now?

    As I'd said before, because I successfully manually found, downloaded,
    and installed three of the four updates that Windows was suggesting
    for me, the only one left is Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML
    4.0), related to DirectX 8.0/8/1. I can't figure out why the update I
    manually downloaded gives me a message essentially saying "if you're
    getting this message, you already have this update installed," yet
    Windows Update keeps telling me I need it.

    According to my installation history on the Windows Update web site, I
    performed a successful update on January 18. I can't figure out what
    might have happened since then to make me unable to do these updates.

    usenetdg, Mar 6, 2004
  8. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    By going to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/ and
    searching for my problems, then systematically following the
    instructions, I got things taken care of.

    "Download hangs. The Windows Update - Web Page Dialog window appears
    but download never starts (Windows 98)" was the specific link that
    fixed my problems. A program called mcrepair.exe (yes, that's Money
    Central, go figure) was the tool that did the trick.

    So now the update works. BUT...

    Now no matter how many times I run Windows Update and restart, it
    always tells me that I need:

    ------------------------
    Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB819696)
    Download size: 790 KB, < 1 minute
    An identified security issue in Microsoft DirectX could allow an
    attacker to run programs on a computer running Microsoft Windows. The
    attacker would first have to send you an e-mail message or entice you
    into visiting a malicious Web site. You can help protect your computer
    by installing this update from Microsoft. Once you have installed this
    item, it cannot be removed.
    ------------------------

    This was something I'd manually downloaded last night, and installed
    as well. Windows Update was NOT telling me I needed it again, until I
    ran mcrepair.exe.

    Either my installation of KB819696 isn't "taking" or it is "taking"
    but Windows Update doesn't recognize it.

    I can't find a solution to this one on the "troubleshooting" microsoft
    link above.

    usenetdg, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Try this page :

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/819696.htm

    It *appears* that your issues with Windows Script has been solved. You
    may also see if installing the entire package helps :

    Windows Script 5.6
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    If you are using Norton Antivirus or another AV program that has a
    script blocking component I'd advise you to temporarily disable it prior
    to installing updates. Reenable it after installation and any subsequent
    required rebooting.

    MowGreen [MVP]
    *-343-* Never Forgotten

    MowGreen [MVP], Mar 6, 2004
  10. usenetdg

    usenetdg Guest

    Mow, thanks tons. Since the main issue of my original post (inability
    to trigger auto download with Windows Update) has been solved, I
    responded in (a lot) more detail with a new thread in this group. See
    "MowGreen, others - problems with KB819696"

    Basically, I am very, very scared to install DirectX 9.x because of my
    Windows 98SE operating system, and the driver Intel makes for my 810E
    graphics chipset.

    usenetdg, Mar 7, 2004