    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=25581."

    Apparently, my copy of Microsoft Windows has been converted to something
    else, but it still looks and behaves like the usual Microsoft Windows.

    Alexander Rogge, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Alexander Rogge

    PeeCee Guest

    Same happended to me today with a Windows 98 machine.
    I assumed it was MS's way of giving one the finger for using an 'old' OS.
    What are you using?

    P.

    PeeCee, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Alexander Rogge

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20070111 SeaMonkey/1.1*

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Alexander Rogge

    Evan Platt Guest

    Running Windows 98 by any chance?

    Evan Platt, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Alexander Rogge

    why? Guest

    Isn't this where MS got the versions of Win 98 mixed up with MACs?

    Windows Update site says I'm running a Mac - Tech Support Guy Forums
    Hopefully I can help end some of the confusion with Windows Update for
    98/ME leading to the "Thanks anyway but you have a Mac" screen. ...
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/546191-windows-update-site-says-im.html
    - 77k - Cached - Similar pages

    Or by your headers it's really a MAC and you are expecting what to
    happen running Win in an emulator?

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 11, 2007
  6. I tried to use Windows Update today, to get those "critical" updates and
    It's a "Microsoft Me" box. Am I unpatched and unsafe on the Internet
    now? Maybe I should buy Microsoft Vista to stay clean. Unfortunately,
    I can't afford the ludicrous price tag for Microsoft Vista, and I don't
    want to lose my old PC hardware by upgrading to "Vista-compatible" hardware.

    Alexander Rogge, Apr 13, 2007
  7. Alexander Rogge

    PeeCee Guest

    Alexander

    Given MS stopped issuing patches and updates to the whole 9x series of
    Windows (including ME) last year you will not get any more security by
    continuing to visit the update site, so whether it works or not doesn't
    improve things.

    If on the otherhand you are updating a PC that hasn't got all the 9x patches
    (fresh install, been resurected from the garage,...) then the only
    suggestion I have is to reinstall back to Windows 98SE (MS is happy with
    retrograding a Windows license to a previous version) and install the
    Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service pack from here
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    (I used it successfully on the PC I mentioned above)

    If it's any comfort to you over the last year the Virus and Spyware
    infections in 9x PC's seems to have dropped away (no evidence, just what
    I've noticed across the bench) so if you keep your Anti Virus, Anti Spyware
    and Firewall up to date then you 'could' be ignored by the web bugs.

    But then ...

    If you are looking for a machine just to surf the web safely then then look
    into changing the OS to one of the many versions of Linux freely available
    on the web.
    I've found by taking an average Win98 box (4/500 MHZ CPU, 128/256MB ram) and
    throwing Mandrake, SUSE, Ubuntu... at it, one of them will detect all the
    hardware properly and give you a nice safe platform.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 14, 2007