windows/system32 folder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Watcher111, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Watcher111

    Watcher111 Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have had a problem in recent days, and I hope someone has the right answer
    for me.

    In the past week or so, when I boot up my computer in the morning, or have
    to reboot during the day, the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up on my
    screen. It doesn't cause any problems, other than the annoyance of having to
    close it every time it shows it's ugly head on my screen. How can I stop
    this from happening without reloading the OS and starting all over again?

    System Specs:
    Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP1
    Compaq Presario
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    1.53 GHz
    256 MB RAM

    ----------------------
    Watcher111

    remove nospam. to reply direct

    Watcher111, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Watcher111

    why? Guest

    IIRC the answer to this (or related issue) was posted in 24HSHD not so
    long ago.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk
    26 results for system32 folder open on desktop

    Again if IIRC there is a MS KB article as well,
    www.google.com results in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228502

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Watcher111

    allang Guest

    I have the same problem with Internet folder IGC. hope you get an answer.

    allang, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Watcher111

    °Mike° Guest

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP,
    Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    And please fix your broken signature. A signature should
    be delimited by two dashes, one space followed by RETURN.
    Then comes your signature, which should not be longer
    than four lines.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Watcher111

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#7

    Plato, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Watcher111

    Watcher111 Guest

    Thank you to all who replied. The fix worked, I did have one null value in
    the registry location in the M$ KB article

    Watcher111, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Watcher111

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.