  1. Rock

    Rock Guest

    I get the following message when trying to boot Windows XP

    Rock, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Rock

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I get the following message when trying to boot Windows XP

    errr...what message?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Sorry the above message in subject line

    Rock, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Rock

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > errr...what message?
    | >
    | Sorry the above message in subject line

    Is that all there is? That's not much of an error message. Is there more to
    it? Is it in a pop-up box? Or what?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Rock

    Rock Guest

    No when booting

    Rock, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Rock

    Rob K Guest

    Rock ,

    You've got a question. And you're looking for answers, right ?

    No problem with that, that's what 'we' (TINW) are here (TINH) for. :)
    I think Toolman Tim is trying to help you. Could you please at least be
    polite and ask your question in the BODY of the message rather than in
    the subject line ? And while you're at it - please provide *proper*
    information. Crystal balls are so unreliable these days ;)

    This is an international NG. No-one can really know what PC you have,
    which OS etc etc, ....

    Rob K, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Rock

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I get the following message when trying to boot Windows XP

    Just finish'd with that error myself, it's your system reg file.

    I play'd with it for quite a while, your not given the option of an F8
    are you :}

    I have Win98 installed, so a backdoor into it. Copied the files from
    WINDOWS\REPAIR\ to the windows\system32\config\ directory, no good. I
    just got through doing a clean install of XP, no more error...

    Pennywise, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Rock

    Billy Guest

    The Toolman is *very patiently* hinting that you might want to respond
    with a description similar to:

    My Windows 2000 (XP) will no longer boot up. I get a message that says
    the C:|windows\system32\config\system is missing. Would anyone point me
    in the right direction (optional, please).

    Or even add a line that indicates this; I searched (insert favorite
    Search Engine here), but am unable to find/understand anything.

    Personally, if you have gotten this far, I would first;
    Power on the computer and tap the F8 repeatedly every 1/2 second. This
    will allow you to try Last Known Good Configuration, unlikely to work,
    but worth a shot.
    Second - enter the Recovery Console and do a Chkdsk /R (space between k
    and /). If that doesn't do the job, then follow the info in this link.
    Please note that you will first be using the Repair files to enter a
    "system state" as it was when you first installed. In Part Two you will
    replace this with the System Restore Hives.
    http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=8450

    Billy, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Hi Rock,

    Welcome to the missing system32\config world.I have had this problem on and
    off for the last 3 months, just happened one day, have reformatted the pc
    more times than I care to mention since then.I have this problem on
    restarting the pc, if its left on no problems but due to a restart it
    occasionally happens. I reagd a lot about this on google(a good place to
    begin) and it seems it is a common thing, however no one seems to have a
    definitive fix for this, I read on one post that a faulty stick of RAM could
    be the culprit, so I swapped mine for a new one , this stopped the problem
    but then hey presto a restart and its back.I have now changed the hard drive
    for a different one and at present I am seeing if this works ok, problem is
    the system works fine for a few days or even a couple of weeks before
    throwing this message up. From what I can gather the majority of people
    repair using the ASR (win xp) or reformat, also they seem to lean towards a
    hardware problem as opposed to a software one, this error has been reported
    with xp home/xp profesional and using all the service packs too, no
    permanent fix seems to be out there, just work arounds..sorry I cant be more
    help but I am trying to sort the same problem out myself!

    [email protected], Jan 8, 2005