    4.) The ADPREP.EXE from the Windows Server 2003x64 R2 will not run on the
    current operations master!

    I can not find a download for the version of ADPREP I need.

    Guest, May 17, 2006

  2. You can actually use the version of adprep from your SP1 installation, it's
    the LDF files that are in the same directory on the R2 CD that you need. The
    alternative is, of course, a 32-bit version of the R2 CD which will have the
    32-bit version of adprep.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the reply, I did not know I could use the ADPREP from Windows
    Server 2003 with the LDF files from Windows Server 2003x64 R2. I did locate
    CD2 from the 32 bit version of R2 so now I have two solutions.

    Guest, May 17, 2006
  4. adprep doesn't change much over time. All the smarts are in the .LDF files.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2006
  5. According to:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917385

    R2 CD2 has both x86 and x64 versions of the R2 bits.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 18, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    saying ADPREP doesn't change much over time is actually not quite right - it
    has evolved quite a bit to include better error-handling logic and user
    guidance to fix potential issues, as well as additional commandline options
    to control the exact update behaviour for ACLs on SYSVOL (/DomainPrep
    /GPprep).

    Also the version of ADPREP you're using will determine which LDIF files will
    be used to extend the schema - the SP1 ADPREP version will only update the
    schema to version 30 (same version as Win2003 RTM, except for a change in the
    tombstonelifetime set in the SCHEMA.INI file, which only matters for new
    forests). As such it won't change anything in an existing Win2003 schema.
    However, the ADPREP from the R2 disk will add another file to the list of
    schema LDIF files, which will update the schema to version 31 and include all
    the R2 specific schema changes.

    It's a different question if you need the R2 schema extensions or not:
    => you will need them if you plan to use any new R2 features that relies on
    these extensions, such as DFSR or the PrintMgmt console with the capabilities
    to distribute printer queues to clients via GPO
    => some R2 features do not require the R2 schema extensions, such as ADFS
    (ADFS merely needs to run on an R2 box)
    => naturally, as soon as you wish to promote an existing Win2003 R2 server
    (either 32 or 64-bit), you'll also need to extend the schema to R2

    Mixing the ADPREP version with different Schema LDIF files and a different
    schema.ini file can lead to an undesired state and as such I'd not recommend
    using this approach.

    As such, if you care to update your existing Win2003 AD schema to the "real"
    R2 schema on an exsiting 32-bit DC, you'll have to use the 32-bit version of
    the R2-CD2 (although http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917385 suggests the
    64-bit R2-CD2 should have both x86 and x64 bits of ADPREP, I couldn't find it
    on the 64-bit CD).

    /Guido

    Guest, May 18, 2006
  7. I couldn't find it on my version of the 64bit R2 CD either. And I bow to
    your comments about using the correct versions of adprep. Though in this
    specific case, I think it would work just fine. But since the OP has located
    the correct R2 32-bit disk, that's a better approach, certainly.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2006
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having a similar problem,same error anyway, but my schema master won't
    run the adprep on R2 - it say's it wasn't made for it's version.

    My dc is running Windows 2003 Enterprise edition - all updates applied, but
    my X64 is only Standard - is that my problem? any workaround any one knows
    of?

    Thanks,

    Julie

    Guest, Sep 19, 2007
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 19, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    Thanks for your response. So these files are the LDF files I need to copy
    to the existing DC schema master, do I put them into the same folder as
    Adprep?

    Thank you for your time,

    Julie

    Guest, Sep 19, 2007
  11. They go in the same folder as adprep. Copy everything to a temp folder on
    the schema master and run from there. Make sure you're logged in with
    credentials sufficient to update the schema.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 19, 2007
  12. Hello,
    A QFE exists as well to make all the versions available for all the
    platforms,

    919151 You cannot deploy a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain
    controller in a Windows Server 2003 forest
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;919151

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    |> From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>