    upgrade to 2008 or to just start at 2008.

    I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

    Thank you.

    Hoolahawk, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Where does your =EXPERIENCE= exist?

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 28, 2008

  3. Hoolahawk

    Hoolahawk Guest

    Hi Lawrence,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I have experience using and maintaining Windows 2003 server and SQL server,
    I would say that I am intermediate user. Although I have not had experience
    setting up a domain or active users directory.

    I hope this gives you an indication.

    Hoolahawk, Oct 28, 2008
  4. You should start with what you know == Windows Server 2003.

    The purpose of the Microsoft Certifications is to help document actual
    experience.

    Along the way, the next thing I would think you'd want to do is set up a
    training lab and learn how to set up a domain and manage active directory,

    You should learn Windows Server 2008 concurrently with learning Active
    Directory; in fact, it might even be good to actually learn Active Directory
    on a Windows Server 2008 DC.

    It really depends on what level of certification for Windows Server 2003 you
    desire.

    If I were in this position, and considering the primary purpose of
    certification to document actual experience, I wouldn't worry about the
    MCSE:Windows Server 2003, although the MCSA:Windows Server 2003 might be
    within your grasp.

    The structure of the certifications have significantly changed (in terms of
    required exams) between the two platforms.

    For the MCSA:Windows Server 2003, there are two required server exams
    (70-290 and 70-291), and the 70-291 is reputed to be one of the most
    difficult exams in the collection (usually because applicants are challenged
    by DHCP/DNS which is a large part of the exam). You'll also need to complete
    the WindowsXP or WindowsVista desktop exams, and then one elective exam.
    Depending on how strong your experience with SQL Server might be you could
    use either the 70-228 (SQL Server 2000, but this exam expires on 3/31/09) or
    the 70-431 (MCTS: SQL Server 2005).

    The MSCE requires an additional three exams, of which one required exam is
    on Active Directory, and one design exam is on Active Directory or Security.

    For the MCITP:Server Administrator (In Windows Server 2008), there is no
    longer a requirement to take the desktop exam, but there also aren't any
    elective exams, and you must know Active Directory for the MCITP
    certification.

    For more information on certification options, go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 28, 2008
  5. Hoolahawk

    Hoolahawk Guest

    Lawrence,

    I was not expecting such a excellent and detailed reply, thank you very much.

    I now understand what I have to do and because of your detailed reply I have
    put forward a case to my supervisor to undertake some further training.

    Again thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

    Hoolahawk, Oct 28, 2008