Windows Server 2003 NLB with Dual NIC's on single segment

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by JohnS, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    We have a File Server running Server 2003 Standard with two NICs. We wanted
    to be able to Load Balance using the two internal Nic's so traffic would
    equalize between the two and create some fail-over should one NIC fail. NLB
    "seems" to be running, but traffic is hardly equalized. NIC's are identical.
    Here is our configuration:

    Nic 1:
    IP: 10.10.10.32/24
    GW: 10.10.10.250

    Nic 2:
    IP: 10.10.10.33/24
    GW: none

    NLB Cluster: 10.10.10.15/24 (the address we want everyone to use)

    When we pull the plug on NIC 2, traffic does continue, but slows almost to a
    halt. I've seen numerous articles and hints online, but nothing that says we
    can really do this with one Server and two NIC's on the same LAN segment. BTW
    - during config, NIC 2 shows "its" Cluster as 0.0.0.0 and we cannot change
    it. Says we already have a NIC with at address. Maybe this cannot be done?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    JohnS, Apr 15, 2010

  2. JohnS

    RCan Guest

    Hi John,

    unsure here but I'm have never seen the usage of NLB for load balance
    purposes of an FILESERVER....had mostly webservers implemented in regards to
    NLB ;-)
    But why you are not using a NIC teaming for traffic load balancing purposes.

    What network hardware do you have ?

    Regards
    Ramazan

    RCan, Apr 16, 2010

  3. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    Hardware is BroadCOM BCM5708C. Also have a heavy hitting File Server using
    Intel Pro 1000 MT's. I think you're right - we're going to move to the NIC
    Teaming approach and let the hardware manufacturer do their part.

    Appreciate the input.

    John

    JohnS, Apr 16, 2010
  4. JohnS

    RCan Guest

    For Broadcom :
    How do I configure two or more adapters to a team?
    In Microsoft Windows, click on the Team Management icon in BACS (Broadcom
    Advanced Control Suite), select Teams from the menu, and select "Create a
    Team". A teaming wizard will display. Follow the instructions to the end,
    and click finish to create the desired teaming configuration.

    For Intel :
    You need to use the Intel software PROSet for configuring an team, more
    details can you find here :
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/9195p/en/Intel_nic_teaming_10.pdf

    PS : Intel Pro1000 MT are really good server adapters, if you do have 2 of
    them, build a team depending on your networking infrastructure (AFT, SFT).
    this will provide you load balancing the network troughput and implement
    fault tolerance for your NICs and if possible switches.

    Regards
    Ramazan

    RCan, Apr 17, 2010