    I am also worried about the drives 'health' I am not sure if I can hear it
    'ticking'.
    Anyway I need the computer now so I can't defrag yet.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    Paul Guest

    The recovery partition will "blow away" the C: drive. It
    doesn't do something like a repair install, and instead
    just replaces the whole thing. You'd lose your data files
    if you did that (so back them up, if you're going to try it).

    You can download a disk diagnostic, from the web site of the
    manufacturer who made the disk. If the disk is screwed, you'll
    get a diagnostic code which basically tells you the drive is
    bad.

    Another thing to check, is the SMART statistics. But I don't
    know how to read them, so even if you posted the SMART
    values from the drive, I couldn't make sense of them.

    If you buy a new disk, again, the web site of the disk manufacturer,
    will have a tool for moving the data from the old drive, to the
    new hard drive. I don't know if the recovery partition is
    handled properly by such utilities or not.

    If the HDTune benchmark won't run, it probably means there is a
    bad spot in the drive somewhere. A surface scan looking for errors,
    could well run into the same kind of trouble.

    One way or another, you need to backup your data, just in case.
    A new drive is a good place to try it.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 4, 2008

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    Onsokumaru Guest

    You can defrag and still use the computer.

    You might try running chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors.

    Get HD Tune, look at health tab and run a scan, or get SpeedFan and click
    SMART, select drive and click perform in depth analysis. This will give you
    some info on what the data means and what is important.

    You could have a drive developing bad sectors, or you have picked up some
    malware, though usually malware can be spotted under running processes in
    task mamager.

    If you suspect the drive is sick, back up you data. Better would be to make
    a disk image so you can just replace the HDD and restore the image and get
    back to where you were quickly.

    Onsokumaru, Jul 4, 2008
  4. Lord Turkey Cough

    Paul Guest

    Defragmentation should only be done on a healthy disk. It involves
    moving a lot of data around, which increases the odds of damaging
    something or losing files. You'd want to surface scan the disk
    first, and see if it is clean. Based on what you've indicated
    so far, I would not defrag it.

    The next time you try the test, write down exactly what the error
    message was. It might be complaining about errors, or the length
    of time it is taking the disk to respond.

    I'm thinking backups are the way to go right now, before you lose
    something.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 4, 2008
  5. Hmm... I just noticed my page file is on the C: drive.
    I used to have it on a seperate drive F: but before I installed ubuntu to
    it. I put it back on C: which needs defragging.
    Anyway it's back on F: now (seems quiter, maybe cos there is no fragnmented
    swap file).

    I set C: to no swopfile, and put one on F: however I am not sure if c:
    will use the one on f: or manage without. I have 1.25 gig of ram, thats a
    lot
    for my usage, it should not need the swopfile anyway.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008
  6. On win98 it would say data changed restarting.....
    Yes where wiould that be error checking in disk management properties tools?
    Will have a look.
    Yes I was worried myself.
    I have 109gig free in F: the drive is only 80gig so I can fit the lot on.
    Will take a while though. It took an age to copy accross 700meg, a CD worth.

    There is definately something wrong.Should I defrag or back up first?
    I think I will defrag over night I don't think my PC will be usable with any
    major
    operations going on. Eeven copying that 700 meg screwed up my online poker
    game
    somewhat, made me miss my turn sometimes!!

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008
  7. I was thinking similar, but I think that means too over night runs
    unless I can schedule one after the other.
    My comp wil lbe pretty unusable with them going on in the back ground.
    (In it's current condition).

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008
  8. OK I have a good drive F: it is 250 gig. So the (c:) 80 gig drive will
    easilly fit on it.
    What I would like to do is copy C: onto F: so that I can boot from F:
    That kills two birds with one stone as F: was recently defragged.

    The C: drive is actually partitioned into C: and D: (the recovery
    partition).

    C: and F: are both NTFS formatted. D: is FAT32.

    Can I copy C: to F: so that F: is bootable?
    Note ther is some other data I wish to keep which is already on F:
    so I don't want to overwrite that.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008
  9. Thanks!!!

    That sorted it out (eventually), should havel ooked at it earlier but I had
    so many ideas going through my mind, I though that probably won't
    work at the time.

    It was whilst I was backing up my data I realised it was going to take
    forever at the pace it was doing it, so I though I would give it a shot.
    I kind of realised that the kind of thrashing the disk was taking whilst
    backing up meant it must be in pretty good shape, so it was probably
    something
    else.
    The disk I/O thing made sense, I don't understand it all but it was clear
    that
    disk access was part of the problem somehow.
    I had to install SP3 wich took forever, then that didn't work, but there was
    a work around
    thing which required loads of rebbots.

    Anyway it seems to be sorted now so many many thanks for your help.

    I wish I could say the same thing to microsoft however.

    I blame them 100% for the trouble they have given me.

    What I think of them is not printable here.

    Anyway I guess I backed up some of my data, ableit at a painfully slow pace.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008

  10. Many thanks to Paul for sorting this out for me. (see my previouly dated
    post in thread).

    No thanks to Microsoft for causing the mess in the first place.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Jul 4, 2008
  11. Lord Turkey Cough

    Baron Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough Inscribed thus:
    If you are using CC data or Internet banking, I would back any data I
    didn't want to loose and then Nuke & Pave !

    You have no idea what may be hiding in the dark nooks an crannies of you
    machine.

    Baron, Jul 4, 2008