    different to a W2K OEM SP4 number, as is XP SP1a and XP SP2 - at least for
    the Spanish version

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 15, 2004

  2. chrisj

    Conor Guest

    Conor, Nov 15, 2004

  3. chrisj

    Joel Rubin Guest

    If your eyesight is not the best (e.g. if you are a graying boomer) it
    is easy to misread the OEM sticker. Also there may not be adequate
    light shining on the side of the computer.

    I believe that M$ makes SOME attempt made to avoid confusion but they
    need an easier-to-read and larger font.

    (Do zero or oh ever appear in WinXP product keys? If not I think this
    is M$ trying to make things easier.)

    As I recall I had some trouble with B's and 8's and I thought Q (quew)
    was zero at first.

    My key is of the form (L = letter, # = number)

    LLLLL-LL#LL-LLL#L-LLLLL-LLL##

    I have no idea if other keys follow anything like this pattern.

    Joel Rubin, Nov 15, 2004
  4. chrisj

    10_4 Guest

    I am real familiar with the swamp land you own. It is next to my ocean
    front property I have in Kansas.

    10_4, Nov 16, 2004
  5. chrisj

    10_4 Guest

    This was a project that MS tried in 2000 and XP but decided against it for
    the activation crap they now use. It was not relevant to ME, 98 or those
    earlier OSs. I was not clear with that in my original posting. I know for
    a fact you can have 2000 original production (before SPs)and try a key from
    the same version and type made two months later and it will not work. You
    may get lucky and stubble across another one that will work but it was of
    the same production era. But then again you probably are a frequent visitor
    at the Microsoft Campus and are much more versed in such!

    10_4, Nov 16, 2004