    came with the computer. Ie, its an OEM key and I have a retail disc?

    cheers,

    chris

    chrisj, Nov 15, 2004

  2. chrisj

    Avenger© Guest

    Why not use the correct product key with each respective disc??

    Avenger©, Nov 15, 2004

  3. chrisj

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Hi, i have been reinstalling windows and trying to use the key form the
    | sticker on the computer but it does work. I have had this problem with
    Win98
    | & ME and 2000. Is this because the disc I am using is not the same one
    that
    | came with the computer. Ie, its an OEM key and I have a retail disc?

    Yup.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 15, 2004
  4. chrisj

    EricP Guest

    You are stuck with the disk that came with your computer.

    EricP, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Microsoft -supposedly- will actually help you with this if you legally
    have a license to install Windows. I don't think I'd call them and say
    "I've got three or four versions laying around."

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  6. chrisj

    chrisj Guest

    So is there one OEM version or lots of differant OEM versions for differant
    manufacturers?

    cheers,

    chris

    chrisj, Nov 15, 2004
  7. chrisj

    Avenger© Guest

    Ooops, sorry, did not read the OP post correctly :eek:) (Too much coffee,
    not enough sleep).

    Avenger©, Nov 15, 2004
  8. chrisj

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > | sticker on the computer but it does work. I have had this problem with
    | > Win98
    | > | & ME and 2000. Is this because the disc I am using is not the same one
    | > that
    | > | came with the computer. Ie, its an OEM key and I have a retail disc?
    | > |

    | > Yup.
    |
    | So is there one OEM version or lots of differant OEM versions for
    differant
    | manufacturers?
    |
    | cheers,
    |
    | chris

    Dunno for sure, but my Dell OEM disk won't run in a non-Dell computer. And
    my Dell code on the case won't work with my other OEM disks.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 15, 2004
  9. chrisj

    Billh Guest

    As a note. I had heard that OEM XP installs were tied to the bios and did
    not have to be activated as long as you used the installed disk you got from
    the OEM you would not have activate.

    As an experiment I have an older PIII 1000 MHz Dell that I came with ME that
    I upgraded to XP Home. And a Dell laptop that came with XP Pro. When I got
    my new Desktop I turned the old PIII in to a test bed. Try things out so as
    not to mess up the main computer. I tried setting up dual booting and Linux
    and all sorts of things. One thing I did was to try and load the laptops
    copy of XP Pro to see if I would need to activate it. It loaded and did not
    need to be activated. So I guess as long as you are in the Dell family you
    do not have to activate.

    Billh, Nov 15, 2004
  10. They call it "tattooing the motherboard" where the software senses the
    mb brand and won't install if it's not a match. A few of the bigger mfgs
    use it, a royal pain in the ass. Another reason to build yer own out of
    industry standard parts.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  11. chrisj

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That is true with Dell, as I've done the same. I don't know if it works for
    others though.

    | As a note. I had heard that OEM XP installs were tied to the bios and did
    | not have to be activated as long as you used the installed disk you got
    from
    | the OEM you would not have activate.
    |
    | As an experiment I have an older PIII 1000 MHz Dell that I came with ME
    that
    | I upgraded to XP Home. And a Dell laptop that came with XP Pro. When I
    got
    | my new Desktop I turned the old PIII in to a test bed. Try things out so
    as
    | not to mess up the main computer. I tried setting up dual booting and
    Linux
    | and all sorts of things. One thing I did was to try and load the laptops
    | copy of XP Pro to see if I would need to activate it. It loaded and did
    not
    | need to be activated. So I guess as long as you are in the Dell family
    you
    | do not have to activate.

    | > | > |

    | > the
    | > with
    | > one
    disc?
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | So is there one OEM version or lots of differant OEM versions for
    | > differant
    | > | manufacturers?
    | > |
    | > | cheers,
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 15, 2004
  12. chrisj

    10_4 Guest

    Microsoft tried to stop pirating early on by issuing a batch of keys for all
    disk made that month and the next month they would issue another batch of
    keys and so-on. Does not matter if they are the same type or not, the keys
    would not work from one month's production to the next. You may get lucky
    and call MS for a replacement CD but they usually want a number off the CD
    that is a code for MS to verify it is a CD they issued. Does not hurt to
    try!

    Good luck,
    Roger

    10_4, Nov 15, 2004
  13. I've never heard that theory before. I've had awfully good luck with the
    theory that different versions of disks (Win98, Win98SE, Win98SE
    Upgrade, Win98 Upgrade (US versions, German versions, etc. of each))
    each use a different algorithm for generating the Product Key.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  14. chrisj

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | 10_4 wrote:
    | > Microsoft tried to stop pirating early on by issuing a batch of keys for
    all
    | > disk made that month and the next month they would issue another batch
    of
    | > keys and so-on. Does not matter if they are the same type or not, the
    keys
    | > would not work from one month's production to the next. You may get
    lucky
    | > and call MS for a replacement CD but they usually want a number off the
    CD
    | > that is a code for MS to verify it is a CD they issued. Does not hurt
    | > try!
    | >
    | > Good luck,
    | > Roger
    |
    | I've never heard that theory before. I've had awfully good luck with the
    | theory that different versions of disks (Win98, Win98SE, Win98SE
    | Upgrade, Win98 Upgrade (US versions, German versions, etc. of each))
    | each use a different algorithm for generating the Product Key.

    Yeah - I was wondering about that too...never heard of it. I had multiple 98
    systems at work over several years time, and never ran into such a
    situation. I don't think it was "batch" related. Version, yes, language,
    probably.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 15, 2004
  15. chrisj

    trout Guest

    Use a freeware finder to see what key *is* in there.

    trout, Nov 15, 2004
  16. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    Yes.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 15, 2004
  17. chrisj

    Ron Martell Guest

    Wrong.

    The product key does include coding that identifies the type of
    product that it applies to, as in OEM, Retail, or Multiple License as
    well as identifying the exact product.

    So an OEM product key will not work with a Retail version CD and vice
    versa.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 15, 2004
  18. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    <piggy backing on Martell's post.>

    That was some funny shit there "10_4". I have some swamp land for sale
    if your interested.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 15, 2004
  19. Could there really be some connection?

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 15, 2004
  20. chrisj

    Jim Berwick Guest

    You are talking complete crap here, dude. You can use a key from month 1's
    production on a month 15 CD, the only factor is whether your key/CD match,
    ie, Retail, Upgrade, OEM.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 15, 2004