    How do i turn off this problem, i have turned off the messenger service and
    now i have a problem with internet explorer pop ups- about 45 a day show up
    on my computer. PLEASE HELP!

    Dennis Woods, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Dennis Woods

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' dropdown, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Jul 19, 2003

  3. How do i turn off this problem, i have turned off the messenger service
    Proxomitron: http://www.proxomitron.org
    We use and Recommend.

    FreeSurfer: http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/
    Pow: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm
    NoAds: http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/
    PopKi: http://ranfo.com/popki.html
    KillAd: http://www.wplus.net/pp/fsc
    ClickOff: http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/download.html
    PopupEraser: http://www.webknacks.com/popuperaser.htm
    PopupBuster: http://www.popupbuster.com/PopUpBuster/
    PopUpPopper: http://www.bayden.com/Popper/default.asp
    Window Shades: http://www.g-m-m.com/Software/WindowShades/index.php
    AdShield: http://www.adshield.org/
    Web Washer: http://www.webwasher.com
    PopupStopper: http://www.panicware.com/popupstopper.html

    Or your could change your browser to one that has a built in
    popup stopper...

    AVantBrowser: http://www.avantbrowser.com
    We use and Recommend.

    MyIE2: http://www.ruihehang.com/myie2/html_en/home.htm
    Crazy Browser: http://www.crazybrowser.com/index.htm
    Opera Browser: http://www.opera.com

    Or do what we do and use Proxomitron as our proxy server &
    popup stopper and Avant with built it popup stopper.
    I haven't seen aderts for ages and somes forget that they
    are there.

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 20, 2003