Windows Networks problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by victor_ht, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. victor_ht

    victor_ht Guest

    HI

    I've got a DLINK network hub that i want to network running ethernet cable
    too a Laptop and a PC . Ones a desktop with Windows Xp Pro and the other is
    a Acer Travelmate with Windows Home edition. I've setup network wizard in
    the Workgroup as MSHOME_1 with the Network wizard selecting file sharing
    (Documents folder). I cant't see any of my computers icons when i use the
    windows explore to expand my workgroup.How can i see the connetion between
    both computers without gettin a "access denied" in explorer.

    Things I've tryed.
    1. Ping both PC and Laptop but only the PC comes with data on request.(to
    the local IP address) The Laptop come up with request time out (to the local
    IP address).

    2. Connected another Laptop to the Hub with the same result as having
    "request time out".

    Can anyone segguet anthing i can do to see them. or is it the best left for
    a expert.

    Victor_ht

    victor_ht, Feb 28, 2008

  2. victor_ht

    victor_ht Guest

    HI

    I have'nt tryed anything yet ut i suspect its the DLINK Hub because when i
    try to ping my Laptop using the setup program (via iexplorer) it comes up
    with a Failed. I know that windows network should be build-in to all
    operating systems and i dont think i have to install anyone overheads.

    victor_ht

    victor_ht, Mar 5, 2008

  3. victor_ht

    pauline Guest

    make sure the you have ip adresses and not apipa adresses issued by windows
    and ip settings and subnet are the same for both and that both are using the
    same default gateway use the obtain ip automatically and for dns. try
    disabling any firewall and make sure you are not using a proxy. also make
    sure that both pc's actually have somthing shared or you may not see
    anything and instead of typing the ip address in to explorer open the
    start/run and type the full sharename I.E \\computername\sharename and try
    to access it that way its hard to assist without seeing whats going on just
    think you will know how to fix these problems after doing the N+
    kev

    pauline, Mar 7, 2008